Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i bought a horned frog a week ago and all he has eaten is 1 cricket,i have tried him with pinkies also and he wont touch these either,the temp and everything is fine and the tank is humid can anybody tell me what else to try him with he is only about 3"

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
is yours eating now mate and if so what you feeding it?how long did it take to start eating?

·
Registered
213 Posts
does the frog seem alert?..if so i wouldn't worry...he may need some time adjusting..
also, what kind of setup do you have ...(temp, humidity, ect) if you have no idea of the needs of the frog please PM me as soon as possible, or reply with a complete list of your setup.
also ..how big is the frog and how big are the crickets?
Eden

·
VENOM
4,689 Posts
If he is only 3" he might just be full, depending on the size of the

cricket you fed him.

Also maybe your crickets are too big for him try something smaller

like wax worms or meal worms.

When I feed my frog fuzzy or pinkie mice I have to poke them with a stick

or he wont eat them

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
what are the specifics on his setup. Mine went 5 months eating very little, but I changed a few things and he overnight became a hog. Do you have an under the tank heating pad? When I got a heating pad along with a glass aquarium lid and increased the temp and humididty his eating habits iinstantly changed.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yes i have a heat pad the temp is 80 the tank is 2x1 and the floor is covered in bark chipping with damp moss in one corner,i have a small shallow bowl of water in the tank and i spray the tank twice a day to get it humid the frog seems to look ok he spends alot of time burried but i have seen him moving around and have seen him in the water
hope this helps

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
mabye instead of the bark chipping try bed-a-beast. You buy a brick of it and toss it in water and it expands to fill up about a 5 gallon bucket. It holds moisture well. You dont have to use the entire brick all at once of course.

At this point I wouldnt be too worried. If you just got him 1 week ago he is probbily just adjusting to his new home. Just offer him food every other day or every 3 days. One thing that works for me too is if I grab the food with tweezers or something and hold it up to his face. If I touch his mouth with it he eats it, never fails. Mine ate no more than 2 crickets a week for 5 months before I changed his living conditions. That entire time he was fine, active and "normal". But once he got his new home he eats way more.

One more thing make sure you either gut bust your crickets or dust them before feeding them to your frog.

hope that helps, and keep us updated.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yes thanks i do dust the crickets,i have never heard of bed a beast what exactly is it

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks alot mate yours looks very wet does it want to be this wete all the time?is the heat pad ok under when it is this wet,by the way he has eaten 3 crickets last night so hopefully he will carry on

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
You're feeding it live food, right, that moves? Saw once on pbs that frogs won't eat things that don't move - they'll starve to death while staring at a plate full of dead crickets.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Good to hear he had been eating!
I have never had any problems with the heating pad being under moist substrate.
He actually is way more active and a way better eater since I changed his habitat to a much moister one.:nod:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
thanks for all the help think things are starting to look better he has had a few crickets and last night took a pinkie,ive bought some eco earth today but dont know if to use it now he has started eating worried it might unsettle him again

1 - 20 of 21 Posts