Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I have been feeding my ps lately and I thaw out some shrimp by placing them in a coffee mug and dipping it into the water, then taking out the shrimp and throwing it in. My little ps will come up and eat the shrimp right out of my hand and stay at the top of the water circling waiting for the food to be dropped in.. they even come after my finger and wont move when I have the gravel vac in there.

On the other hand, my larger ps in the 75 g wil hide and then come out and grab the food quickly. they are much more skittish... has anyone ever had reds that would eat "out of your hand?" I wonder if they will continue to be like this or if it will go away when they start to get bigger.

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
There are of course differencies between individuals and shoals.
Some (especially nattereri) stay skittish throughout their lives, some get adapted and accustomed very easily, never actually becoming skittish.

I have the latter type. Even putting my whole hand during overhaul into the water will not frighten them. They tend to chase my hand away.

There are a lot of things you can do to make them feel more comfortable and become more bold:
- water parameters (NO2, pH), lighting + plants + driftwood, medium or darker substrate, more traffic around the tank, regular cleanings, letting them eat in peace etc.

Harry

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah the ones in the 75 see alot of traffic because it is in the living room. I used black gravel for my substrate and an array of driftwood, rocks, and live plants. They have eaten all of the plants though, and it sucks because they really looked good in the tank with them... the water params are good. The tank just got done cycling actually and everything is at 0 except nitrates, which are around 40. Hopefully they will come around more and the little guys stay aggressive like they are.

·
Allergic to stupid sh*t!!!
4,364 Posts
I have had wild reds at 3" come to the topof the water and rip filets out of my hand. You must keep the routine going or they will stop eventualy. And it will also change if you move them to a diff tank.

My mix shoal has no fear at all. They hit the food as soon as it hits the water. That goes for all my fish, even the big reds. They get fed everyday.

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
mine are on the fence, it depends when they are fed, everyother day is the routine
i have for them and the grab and run, but will swarm on pellets like crazy

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
mine wont touch pellets. what kind do you feed them and do they float or sink?

·
Registered
476 Posts
Six red bellies - skittish
black masked elong - fearless
black rhom - fearless
sanchezi - fearless

Ever since I got rid of my red bellies for my elong, rhom, and sanchezi I have noticed a great difference in aggression come eating time...

·
Registered
8,568 Posts
Interesting, your pygo were skittish but all of your serras are very aggressive at feeding.

My reds were fearless when they were small, but then became more skittish as they grew. Now, they are all pushing 6" or so and they are slowly becoming more and more bold.

·
Registered
41 Posts
if i feed my reds frozen beefheart or some other frozen treat, they eat when they get around to it. if i give them live worms they snatch them before they get half way down the tank

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
my black rhom is very skittish right now. about 4". he will grow out of this as he grows right? ive heard larger rhoms are next to fearless

1 - 14 of 14 Posts