Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All I have ever kept is reds, and the only reason i dont like them is cuz they are so skitterish!!! Once I get my 194 gallon (60 by 30 by 25) I am going to start a mixed pygo tank (1 piraya, 1 ternetzi, 3 caribe, 4 reds). Are caribe, terns, and pirayas skitterish like reds? Also, is that too much for that tank? Could I keep them in there until adulthood?

·
OPEFE
10,249 Posts
194 is enough room for them!

As been said it depends of fish character, still i believe Caribas and Pirayas are not skittish at all due to their more aggressive behavior!

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,487 Posts
That'll be nice.. a Pygo mixed tank. Also Piraya and Caribas are known to be more aggressive and less skittish. But like whateveryone else states, it depends on the fish. I had 5" RBs that werent skittsh at all, but my new 7-9"ers are. It all depends.. that also goes with the Caribas and Pirayas.

·
Death is fair to everyone.
5,310 Posts
Some are more skittish than others as personality I have one 9+ piraya and one 7+ and the big one will damn near lunge out of the tank when i get close and startle him and the other pays little to no attention to me But the big one is the tank terror though. I think the big one being wild caught at a big size could be it not being used to people and being captive. And the caribe are the same some get startled some don't. But all it takes to get all of them going is one freaking out. But i think all pygo's are skittish to some extent.
Not to be taken as fact. But this is my opinion.

·
Registered
707 Posts
i have a solo piraya, i have only had him for about a week and he hasnet spooked since i put him in my tank, he actualy ever attacks me through the glass which i didnt expect him to do.. but it really does depend on the fish, if you buy your fish from a store, look for the piraya that dont get spooked when you walk up to the glass and get those, you should be happy

·
Registered
350 Posts
I just picked up a small piraya and I was shocked, he isnt affraid of anything. When I turn the lights on and go close to the tank he comes right up to me.. But I also have reds and some freak all the time and the others dont.. So I agree it does depend on the fish but I also think that if they are brought up in a high traffic area they will get used to more movement and wont be so skittish too..

R.T.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts