Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was at my local fish store and asked the lady about discus... and she said that they dont carry them because they are really hard to maintain and they can catch diseases very easily? i know they are very calm and passive fish.. but i never heard of them being hard to maintain, i would think that they would be very easy...

well i was a bit skeptical of what she said because she talked like she was 8 years old. anyone have reliable information on the fishkeeping skillz needed for a discus?

·
Registered
641 Posts
I have many of them in a 75 gallon tank. Sizes range from 1" to 7-8" never had any fighting problems (just look at the size of their mouths). I have only had one die and that was right after I bought it in a lot, it looked sickly to begin with.

They aren't very hard to keep, just clean your filter and your gravel at least once I month. I alternate cleaning filter one week, clean gravel next week. I also do a 50% water change every time I clean the gravel. That may sound like overkill, but I do that on all of my tanks. I live in an apartment building with free water, and I take advantage of it. I'm sure they would be fine with less care than I give them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.