Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I did and my Reds were skiddish as hell. I had 3 6-9" reds in a 55. sold the 2 bigger ones and got 5 smaller ones and re decorated the tank and it's been a lot better.

·
Death is fair to everyone.
5,310 Posts
I had one of my piraya's dig a big hole in the gravel. And it went all the way down to the glass. Every time i fed and walked by they tried to swim through the bottom

·
"The Dancing Banana Man"
7,760 Posts
no, not realy.
The like ground cover, rocks, plants, and low light.
Bare tank? Not the best idea in the world.

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
Some say it is a good way to make your piranha's more agressive, because eventually they are forced to become adjusted to human presence nearby. Not especially my idea of taking good care of your pets, but it has been done...

Personally, I prefer a natural looking tank with lots of plants, rocks and drift wood: eventually, the fish will get used to having having you around anyways, but it's done at their speed....
So what if it takes a bit longer?

·
im offended and this is tastless,take it down &#33
4,277 Posts
i woiuldnt do it but not my tank better to have cover

·
Me except the eye color
6,210 Posts
i just took out all my decor in my besides a driftwood on th bottom and they are not skittish anymore. infact they got a little territorial o_O go figure. anyhow this morning when i woke up i found a chunk of meat missing from one of my RB's. sad but true. but before when i had fake plants, half would hide and the other half would be swimming.

·
reasonably awesome
7,613 Posts
MAD piranha kept his 41 natts in a 180 with absolutely no cover whatsoever.

just an observation I made, not saying its GOOD, i dont really know

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,487 Posts
Theres pros and cons to not having and having decors. Its been proven by most that a bare tank will help your fish be more adaptable to your presence and become less skittish. Having no decors also would help decrease fights all over the tanks since theres no territorrial spaces for them to fight over with. And then again, it can cause more fights because there are no divided territorial space. Plus decors would give them a place to hide and at the same time, liven up your tank.

·
Registered
14,961 Posts
RhomZilla Posted on May 4 2003, 06:11 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Theres pros and cons to not having and having decors. Its been proven by most that a bare tank will help your fish be more adaptable to your presence and become less skittish. Having no decors also would help decrease fights all over the tanks since theres no territorrial spaces for them to fight over with. And then again, it can cause more fights because there are no divided territorial space. Plus decors would give them a place to hide and at the same time, liven up your tank.
I agree with Rhomzilla. The P. nattereri that I keep, which is deformed, has lived for years in a bare tank with no deco or gravel. The fish does fine.

·
Got Rice?!?
2,648 Posts
I have my Spilocf in a bare tank at tha moment. No big deal.

My question is do P's develop drop-eye like arrowannas can? I think that "drop-eye" is what it is called. I thought that was caused by keeping fish in glass bottom tanks and them being able to see thier own reflection, and them always looking down.

~Dj

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
InSinUAsian said:
I have my Spilocf in a bare tank at tha moment. No big deal.

My question is do P's develop drop-eye like arrowannas can? I think that "drop-eye" is what it is called. I thought that was caused by keeping fish in glass bottom tanks and them being able to see thier own reflection, and them always looking down.

~Dj
I have never seen a P with drop eye. Actually, the huge majority drop-eyes I have seen are silvers/black aros. Aussies and Asians rarely develop this defect. I don't think it is caused by looking at the bottom of the tank, I think it is caused by the development of fat behind the eye socket.

A great source of information and discussion is at at www.arofanatics.com

·
Registered
531 Posts
i think a bare tank is not very good for the happiness of nattereri, they love stay hidden between plants and mangrove roots. in my tank, they move less than in a bare tank i think but its the real natur of piranhas, i think the better is make a big tank with a place with roots and woods with plants, and a other place wit only gravel and fast water space for swimming.
It is as in the biotope of the piranha, the bank, with its hiding places and relief, and the medium of the river with only some water to swim.
it's my opinion...

·
18,487 Posts
memen said:
i think a bare tank is not very good for the happiness of nattereri, they love stay hidden between plants and mangrove roots.
True.. they are know to be called "masters of ambush"

What about a tank with no gravel what-so-ever?? What effects would that do??

·
reasonably awesome
7,613 Posts
RhomZilla said:
memen said:
i think a bare tank is not very good for the happiness of nattereri, they love stay hidden between plants and mangrove roots.
True.. they are know to be called "masters of ambush"

What about a tank with no gravel what-so-ever?? What effects would that do??
some person on the AT or PFish forums just said today that Arrowanas get drop-eye in tanks without gravel, because the reflection causes them to look downwards constantly. Thats making me paranoid about no-gravel in tanks now, regardless of the fish specie

·
18,487 Posts
Anyone else care to disagree or have other opinions??

1 - 20 of 32 Posts