Piranhas Forum banner

Anyone play Half Life 2...

124 views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  Grimreaperman 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Anyone experiencing weird, flashing textures after having played a chapter for a while? The longer I play, the more the screen resembles a frickin' pinball game. But once a new chapter is loaded, it stops for a while, until it starts again - at first just a little bit, but it gets progressively worse, until it's hardly playable anymore in some levels.
My PC is capable enough to deal with the game (high res, high settings), so it's not a performance issue.

Anyone know how to resolve this (I have installed all the the latest drivers and DirectX 9.0c), as it's really starting to get on my nerves...

Thanks

See less See more
#3 ·
Grimreaperman said:
i've had that problem with medal of honor allied assault and spearhead expansion, might be the rams getting full, how much ram you got

atleast 2 gigs will cure it.
[snapback]840479[/snapback]​
I have 1GB of RAM - twice as much as recommended, and enough for now...
I do have a feeling it has indeed something to do with caching textures, though.

I checked the Valve website, but of course they were of little use

#8 ·
Grimreaperman said:
yeah crt's keep up with the graphics better. might be a prob with the card your using. might need a diff. graphics card to act right.
[snapback]840556[/snapback]​
Nah, don't think so: it's a Radeon 9600XT, a DirectX 9.0b-compatible card, belonging to the latest generation of GFX cards until some 9 months ago. It's fast enough, and supports all the graphics effects that make HL2 great.
In fact, I got my copy of HL2 with that card, basically to show off the speed and features of the card.

I think it's either a driver issue, or else a bug in the program itself - my configuation runs stable, and is still more than powerful enough to deal with hi-end games.

#11 ·
Dude, it's because you're dutch

In all honesty I used to have the same problem with Counterstrike way back like 4 years ago, I believe it's a graphics card issue. Not in the sense that your card is incompatible, but in the sense that there is something wrong with your graphics card. If it's fairly new and you have all the latest drivers installed, I would see about contacting ATI to get it worked on.

#12 ·
elTwitcho said:
Dude, it's because you're dutch

[snapback]840904[/snapback]​
I knew it

Why is everybody always picking on us: us is only tiny...

Thanks for your suggestion, though - but I just found a neat little gizmo on the Steam website that validates your game files (it was in a FAQ in relation to graphics issues), so I'm trying that first to see if it works.
If not, I'm going to raise a big stink at those slackers at Valve...

And no, computer upgrades are out of the question at the moment (even though I'd love to have a screaming fast machine towering below my desk...) - too short on funds for that.
And my PC (Athlon XP2000) runs it smoothly in 1024x768, all details at max., and the whole shabang...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.