Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the general gist on here is to keep them either by themselves or in threes, but i have been doing some reading online and many people are keeping them in twos just fine for a couple of years

I have a 30 UK gallon, so i have opted for a solitary P, but if theres anyw wya without buying a new tank he can h ave a buddy then all the better

anyone here keep two piranhas, and no more than two?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Instances of cannibalism and terretorial fighting happen when it comes to fish as aggressive as the piranha, but with your setup, I'd worry more about tankspace than aggression. 30g is pretty small for even one, so I'd recommend you upgrade to at least 50g+ before thinking about expanding your collection.

Anyway, I have 3 rbps, and I occasionally see the results of them not getting along, although the worst has been nipped fins. I can't comment on the suitability of two, however.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Nova_C said:
Instances of cannibalism and terretorial fighting happen when it comes to fish as aggressive as the piranha, but with your setup, I'd worry more about tankspace than aggression. 30g is pretty small for even one, so I'd recommend you upgrade to at least 50g+ before thinking about expanding your collection.
[snapback]926057[/snapback]​
exactly what he said 30UK gal is too small you can try and save some money and get at least 100gal tank and get 5.
might not be realistic but oh well good luck
I just added 2 more to my group of p's and they are all fine and dandy :nod:

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah one day in the future i'll go for a 6footer and be done with it, however ive just set up this tank and everyones still getting used to things... im fine with just one for now, i wait wit beating breath on his every move :D

which isnt a lot right now :D

·
Registered
102 Posts
Heh. Their behavior can surprise. When I first got mine, they were about 2" and were active little mofos. Especially the smallest of them, he quickly gained dominance of the tank. Now that I've had 'em a couple months, they do nothing but hide all day (At least, when I'm around and moving). I wait for the day when they grow out of at least some of their skittishness.

·
Banned
11,729 Posts
with 30 gallons, i'd go with one. two is a bad idea. you should always keep fish in odd numbers. the minimum for 3 piranhas would probably be a 55. 75 being best. and you'll need good filtration. also, once you have a piranha in its own tank, do NOT put anything else in the tank with it. after the piranha has had at least a month to settle itself in, anything else that goes in is food, and will be eaten. if you want a group of 3, i'd go with a 55 gallon, which can be had at wal-mart for under 300 bucks for everything. filter, tank, stand, gravel...etc..its a pretty good deal. not the highest quality, but it works.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I have 2 RBP's about that size and they seem to do fine for now... i need a bigger tank though my other one tipped over from my dog and broke all over the place... man i hate dogs, but the only problem im having is that one of them seems to like to nip and the other ones tail when hes in a frenzy... makes me nervous... i doubt the 2 will get along for much longer then 2 weeks before im left with only 1

·
Registered
102 Posts
zrreber, it's possible that you could lose one. Then again, it's possible that you won't. Mine fought for a while, nipping each others fins. They've calmed down now. One is still missing a big chunk of his dorsal fin, but its growing back and they seem to be getting along. Sometimes you just have to wait it out.

·
Registered
925 Posts
I have to piranhas together. When I first got them like a year ago they kinda nipped at each other. Nothing major, just out of playing together. Now they are best buds it seems like. They will be even happier in another week when I finally get my tank delievered. I feel bad for them now, they are in way to small of a tank. But I guess I didnt just spend $360 on nothing.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
30 is to small for 2 full grown,but I have raised little half inchers all the way to 4 inches in a 33g.Then i sold them

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Flip said:
i have 2 right now and they dont fight @ all
[snapback]926779[/snapback]​
what size tank?

im getting mixed feedback now!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Yeah, each person has had a different experience. Piranha's greatly vary in their personalities. Try however many you'd like to, just make sure you give them enough tankspace. They say 20g per fish, which seems like a pretty good rule of thumb, but more can't hurt. The larger a footprint your tank has, the less likely your piranhas are to fight over terretory.

·
Registered
818 Posts
i had 3 together and last week my biggest was eaten by the other 2. the other 2 seem to be getting on fine now but like these guys will tell you..... you never know because each fish is different. i know its not much help but 1 got 3 and one was still eaten so odd numbers dont always work either.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Keep in mind that even a 50 or 55 would be a poor decision because they will grow out of it in time. I would go straight to a 75 and get 2 buddies at the upgrade.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts