Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to try something first before I order a more expensive fish such as a piraya, or caribe. I currently have 8 reds around 5-8 inches and 1 piraya 6inches. And wondering if i might be able to toss in a smaller red around 3inches in there with them? I wanna try a red first and that way if i loose him it won't be that much of a loss as it would with more expensive fish.

·
OPEFE
10,249 Posts
Not a good idea to kill so magnificent fish!

Try with the cheapest ones!

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,487 Posts
No garentees, but if you try and rearrange the decors in the tank and lower the heat.. probably. Your Ps have already established turf in their tank, and for a small one to be intro'd would only be considered as food. I wouldn't do it...

·
"The Dancing Banana Man"
7,760 Posts
Try when you go to add them, before you do that move some things around in the tank, then add them in durring feeding time. or right after a very large feeding, lessin the chance they are hungry when you add them.

·
Registered
161 Posts
As a matter a fact, two weeks ago I added three 2" reds to a tank that had eight 5-7" reds. Luckily for me I got the small reds for free. Well anyway within the first twenty minutes one of the small ones was devoured. the second casualty came at about a week later. The small remaining one seems to be doing OK. He has staked out a spot in the tank and will defend it when the others get to close. The larger ones seem to have accepted him as part of the shoal. Nevertheless, I had fed them prior to putting the small reds, but never bothered to rearrange the tank. Their is a big chance that your fish will get snuffed out, but thats just my opinion based on experience.

·
Death is fair to everyone.
5,310 Posts
Iv'e added a number of smaller fish with no cannibalism. I have a 9 and a 7 inch piraya and a 7" and three 4" cariba's and a 4" red most of them have been together for about four months. pic of some of them

·
5 TIME CHAMPS
19,142 Posts
raptor... sweet piraya pic..i wanted to try the same thing but was afraid of losing some of my reds.to my caribe who are about 4 inche difference...even if you decide to toss in that red and it works out whose to say that the next fish you add won't be taken out...

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
I tried putting 3 2.5" Nattereri in a 125g tank with 3 Cariba (7"-8.5"), one 6.5" Ternetzi, and 2 Nattereri (7"-8.5")

Well it became apparent to me that it would fail becaue the moment I dropped them in (a well decorated tank) the Ternetzi had one in his mouth within 10 seconds. It manage to wiggle loose without much damage though. The next morning I was down to 2 left ( one that was in the tank hiding in a cave and the other escaped into my overflow box) with one missing in action. I do have a feeling this would have lasted longer if the Ternetzi wasnt in there, I have had problems introducing new fish with him ever since I bought him, he even though a Cariba that weighed more than twice of what he does was a feeder.

The two survivors went to my brother in laws who has a 5" Natt that is highly inbred and grows very slow. Well those two lasted a week at his house, but his piranha hasnt had tank mates since it was bought, so I didnt think it would work at all. He also feeds live feeders most of the time.

·
Registered
14,961 Posts
And wondering if i might be able to toss in a smaller red around 3inches in there with them?
You never want to simply toss a pirana in with other piranas regardless of size. If your fish are conditioned to eat live food, this introduction would be considered a meal. Also, there are territory issues these fish will manifest into a problem. While keeping piranas of different sizes is not recommended by me because of the hierarchy, what I would suggest is do a water change of at least 20% before introducing a new pirana in and even go as far as moving objects around to break up the territorial behavior. It might give your fish a chance to survive and be accepted.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks everyone for your opinions. I will ofcourse be rearranging the tank and with franks suggestion I will also do a water change. I'm sure it will probably still be considered a meal though either way. I will be trying it today and see what happens.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts