Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
your P's a bigger convict or gold fish? the petco near my house is giving away a 5" convict and goldfish. I felt bad to just take them to kill them but they said that they are just going to "get rid of them" ...not sure what that ment when I asked they said "moving to the farm" so im taking it like they will kill them. should i take them and give it to my P's???? (i got 4 that are 5-6")

·
"Pygocentrus cariba"
11,881 Posts
It is entirely up to you. Just remember that they could contain internal/external parasites, which is always a risk you take when feeding live foods. Goldfish also contain thiaminase, a growth inhibiting hormone, but I doubt one goldfish would affect your piranha much...unless of course it contains parasites, disease, etc.
~Taylor~

*Topic Moved to Feeding and Nutrition Forum*

·
Registered
88 Posts
do you have any idea why your LFS would want to 'give away' fish? if not finding out would probably be a good idea. As long as the fish you are feeding are healthy, and its not a regular thing, i wouldnt see it being a problem.

what is concerning is the store givein them away for free...this tells me that for some reason they are unsellable, probably due to disease.

take them and quarantine?

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
do you have any idea why your LFS would want to 'give away' fish? if not finding out would probably be a good idea. As long as the fish you are feeding are healthy, and its not a regular thing, i wouldnt see it being a problem.

what is concerning is the store givein them away for free...this tells me that for some reason they are unsellable, probably due to disease.

its free because petco has a adoption thing. if you bring a fish and give it to them, they give it away for free. i actualy saw a RBP too big for my tank but it was free, they said the person did not know it was a P and it killed half they other fish the guy had. i do quarantine for a few weeks when i sometimes give live fish.

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
It is entirely up to you. Just remember that they could contain internal/external parasites, which is always a risk you take when feeding live foods. Goldfish also contain thiaminase, a growth inhibiting hormone, but I doubt one goldfish would affect your piranha much...unless of course it contains parasites, disease, etc.
~Taylor~

*Topic Moved to Feeding and Nutrition Forum*
as stated :nod:

·
Registered
4,112 Posts

its free because petco has a adoption thing. if you bring a fish and give it to them, they give it away for free. i actualy saw a RBP too big for my tank but it was free, they said the person did not know it was a P and it killed half they other fish the guy had. i do quarantine for a few weeks when i sometimes give live fish.
[/quote]

thats crazy, i wish my LFS had things like that...i would be all over they're p's

·
Registered
8,568 Posts
Damn, Petco is giving away free reds!?!!?!? I wish I lived in the North to have free access to piranhas. I would have gotten him just so I could buy a new tank.

Sorry, I did not mean to de-rail this thread. I agree with Taylor. The decision is up to you, but if you do take them make sure that you quarantine them first.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.