Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a condo with is has 2 floors and a basement. Basement and 1st floor have been ruled out but the better half ok'd my office on the second floor
A little concerned about the weight though... The tank is 72x24x24 and would be up against the wall running perpendicular to the support truces{sp}. It is also acrylic with stand and canopy.

So, anybody else pull this off? Is it an issue? I have been told you need to get well into the 200's to worry but figured I would pick your brains...

Thanks for the answers!

·
Registered
209 Posts
not the same, but I have a 75, 45, 29, 15 and 10 G all in the same room on a 2nd floor: = 174G
Oh, and when I have my 5G Q-tank up, thats 179G

·
Registered
972 Posts
Hmmmm.

I wouldn't go by what anyone says in the forums, whether it's worked for them or not.

Hire a building inspector and find out if it can hold it.

Anything anyone says here is mute. Only checking your structures will you know for sure.

All houses are different.

·
Registered
502 Posts
As for my room on the second floor, I have a 75g, 55g, 25g, 20g, and an 18g. They are all glass and have wooden frames. I figured the water to weigh over 1900 lbs. I would imagine if a waterbed could be used, I should have no problem with aquariums.

·
Got Rice?!?
2,648 Posts
I live on the third floor of an apartment building. I have a 180 and a 65. No problems so far.

~Dj

·
im offended and this is tastless,take it down &#33
4,277 Posts
yeah to be sure u need to hire an inspector butusually if u can have a waterbed and thats put in the middle of a room u should be able to have a big tank i had a 110 on my seconf loor now im seting up my 180 so IMO it should be ok i really wouldnt get worried till 240 and up

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
May be very well possible, but the idea of a tank that big crashing through the floor would haunt me as long as it would be there.
I live on the 5th floor of a pretty shabby warehouse, and have a 80g for my reds, and still the possibility of the tank going down 5 floors gives me the creeps from time to time...

·
Got Rice?!?
2,648 Posts
Yeah I initially worried about that also. That was the main reason I got renters insurance. Just in case my tank goes throught the floor, or I get ripped off. Either way, Im covered.

~Dj

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the relies so far... I have home owners ins. so besides the $250deductable I am covered... The idea of a 2000 pound tank crashing down onto the first floor is a little scary.

I can't imagine I will have an issue but I think I will go ahead and get a contractor in to check things out. I am going to have steps added to my deck so I need someone for that anyway.

Be safe,

1 - 9 of 9 Posts