Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to the local LFS (not really local, but anywho) and he had gotten a shipment of gar two weeks prior to my visit. They seemed very healthy and active. He had a "rocket gar" and a "needle-nose gar" both in the same tank. I noticed the temputure in the tank was at 61°F and didn't have a heater in it. I asked him if it would be an okay addition to one of my community tropical tank with larger fish in it that it would not be able to eat. I told him my temp was at 82 degrees and he seemed a little hesitant, but then said "Oh sure, you can keep him in there, just make sure you acclimate him really well." I acclimated him for 2 hours almost and when I put him in the tank he seemed okay. He swam around the top for about 5 minutes and then started flipping out and running into the glass. I wasn't sure what to do so I waited a minute thinking he might just be scared. Didn't take the whole minute and he settled, but his body was shaped like a "J" so I took him out and put him back in his bag but it was too late. The poor guy had died already.

I can't find too much info on gar but I'm curious as to whether it was just bad luck or if gar really are only a cold-water species.

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,504 Posts
Needle Gars are dope..s'pecially when they get bigger and their teethes pertrude while chomping down on feeders. I rate them there with Barracudas

·
Beautiful One
12,070 Posts
What does a gar look like?

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
he was probably allready on his way to dieing when you bought him. The big change im temp even though you acclimated him for two hours might have been to much. I do beleave they are tropical fish and should be in a aquiro of 73-82 degrees F.
Sorry
MAD

·
Registered
42 Posts
gars can relatively live in almost any water r very very hearty they r atmospheric breathers so dont need well oxygenated water but they get very large so they need a big tank tho i would say it had some kind of disease when u got him

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ahh alright. So he was probably pretty unhappy in his 15 gallon tank with no heater then. Too bad he was so used to it. He was a great looking fish, but you live you learn. I learned-do more research before buying and if something's not right about the tank, don't buy and let the idiot errr...manager know. Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
384 Posts
What kind of fish were you going to put in with the gar? I am curious as to whether or not he'd mix with piranhas, or if one would eat the other

·
18,504 Posts
scrapedogg said:
What kind of fish were you going to put in with the gar? I am curious as to whether or not he'd mix with piranhas, or if one would eat the other
Bad Idea, Scrapedogg.. I had Felcauts (Red Tail Barracudas), cousins of the needle gar and even more aggressive. Didnt last an hr with the RBs. Gars are nice, but they're too slim and weakier than Ps.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Ok, that's cool, better to ask than to assume!! It's just that the people at petco are dumb as all hell and never get it right with fish combos. They try to tell me that I can't have more than 1 piranha in a tank unless it's the size of a feckin' ocean, I suppose they just don't want a dead fish returned from some idiot who tried to put them all together in a 10 gallon tank or something

·
18,504 Posts
scrapedogg said:
Ok, that's cool, better to ask than to assume!! It's just that the people at petco are dumb as all hell and never get it right with fish combos. They try to tell me that I can't have more than 1 piranha in a tank unless it's the size of a feckin' ocean, I suppose they just don't want a dead fish returned from some idiot who tried to put them all together in a 10 gallon tank or something
Leave it to those LFS employees that only go by the books mandated by their workplace.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
bgshortys said:
Alligator Gars are coldwater. I see them all the time in the Fox river in Wisconsin. They are so hard to catch though.
Those are not allagator gar there long-nosed, actually these
fish are just fine in warm or cool, any Lepisosteus is fine
from 50 to 90 degrees,
longnosed gar
here are two young long nosed gar
this is an allagator gar
allagator gar
allagator gar 2
(The fish commonly called the allagator gar in the trade, is really the
flordia gar an adult Flordia can be seen under the Allagator
in the first photo)

Needle nose gars are not in the same family in fact not even
remotly related, Needle fish are more closly related to the halfbeaks,
these fish are very fragile and not easy to keep, they are very much
warmwater species and require a very spacious tank to avoid them
damaging themselves, they are very nervous fish and not
easy to acclimate

·
Registered
60 Posts
i would never get a gar unless you have a 300+ gal tank..

i have caught florida gar while fishing in the everglades that reached over 20lb is weight and 3 feet long.

they sell them all the time at pet stores at about 3-8" in length. little does the consumer know that the fish will need TONS of food, a HUGE filter, and will grow to the size of your leg.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts