Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Frontosa King
10,234 Posts
i know its hard to tell or whatnot at this stage and im probably gonna face people critisizing me but oh well im here to learn so im gonna ask anyways........
anyone have a clue i know its a rhom so please dont bother with the useless yeah its a rhom comments im just wondering if anyone has a slight clue which kind thats all so please dont ruin my thread with the obvious its a rhom comments
thanks all

PS: sorry about the flash

·
Danse Macabre!
10,561 Posts
You can not identify a rhom without it's collection point. Even a guess based on physical characteristics is just that a guess and doesn't hold much water. People will try and make guesses like "it's a xingu" or "it's a diamond rhom" but it's still just a guess and isn't any more likely to be true than if you just guessed for yourself.

So it's just a rhom

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
ok that explains why the eye is not beginning to turn red, although at 4 inches he should show spots, either it is not a rohm altough, it certianly appears to be or it might, and i mean migh be a yellow rohm. it is hard if not impossible to tell what varient a rohm is without sufficent knowledge of a collection point

·
Registered
330 Posts
um...it might not be a rhom at all....it looks 1 hell of a lot like my ~6" brandtii ....the test to see if it is a brandtii si to take and draw a straight line from the back of the anal fin upwards...and if it passes through the dorsal fin it is prolly a brandtii *only species to have that feature*

here's a pic of mine when it was around that size:

another:

atleast that's my 2 cents....i'm no frank :p try posting in teh id forum

·
Frontosa King
10,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
how about as it gets bigger is there a way to tell later on down the road?

·
Registered
330 Posts
um you won't know exactly but u might have a lil better of an idea.... juvi serra's are hard to tell apart

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
well if it turns black then it is a rohm, or gets bigger than about 9 inches, or grows ridicously slow, then we know that it is a rohm.

·
Frontosa King
10,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i know by then how to tell if its a rhom or not.. with the red eyes and getting dark grey/black but i mean the TYPE of rhom can i tell that later on once he/she puts on some size?

·
Registered
330 Posts
prolly not...you jsut need to know wut river he came from...if it came from teh rio sanfrancisco or wutever it is in brazil i'd bet 1 hell of a lotta money it's a brandtii

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
i don't know what it is but it's pretty cool imo

·
what up NINJA
4,581 Posts
Not a Rhom at all.....

I agree w/ the brandtii I.D. 100%

brandti are fairly easy to I.D.

1st, the anal fin begins halfway back from where the dorsal fin begins.
2nd, there is no black edge on the caudal fin in which a rhom does have. And in the brandti case that edge may or may not show up till the fish is larger.

·
Registered
330 Posts
yea...my guess on brandtii was a good one...looks like i've learned something here afterall

·
Registered
44 Posts
not to take your thread, but I have the same problem, I have 2 "Rhoms" from my local lfs and they don't know where they're from either. I have no idea what kind they are. Mine are like 3" each.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts