Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
United Federation of Awesome
8,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i really want to get a lizard of some sort. but i dont know what to go for. im looking for something that will get fairly big but not huge. and something that is good with handeling. and it dosnt have to be overly active.
any ideas?

thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
There are a ton to choose from....

You need to decide how big an enclosure you have to offer, whether or not you want a xeric or tropical species, and dietary needs you will be able to meet......

I always am quick to recomend australian water dragons, bearded dragons, and for larger, carnivorous lizard fans..brown rough-neck(dumerils) monitors, and savanna monitors...but as I said there are literally hundreds of choices ..so your ability to house, maintain, and personal choices are a huge influence.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
lots to choose from and just as crockeeper said its all about wat you can do for the lizard .... space, diet, etc i agree with the water dragon and bearded dragon as a great first lizard, i have a beardie and love it. you can find either lizard at any pet store that sells reptiles due to there popularity

·
United Federation of Awesome
8,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the ideas. i myself was thinking of a monitor. but im looking for one of the smaller specise if possible. any suggestions?
im not sure one what enclosure yet, but im happy to get the biggest one to be able to house the lizard in so hes comfortable. also id like one which doesnt have a complicated dietry needs.
thanks again

·
Registered
91 Posts
I've got a couple Nigerian Uromastyx that are great entertainment but do not like to be handle too much.

I have read that Egytians are pretty friendly though.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
I like Dabb lizards....non handling, high temperature requirements, and dietary and lighting issues prohibit me from recommending them as first lizards...the aegypticus are AWESOME lizards..and use to be a dime a dozen as two and three foot imports....fortunately some people are working with them still and small numbers are produced annually....hopefully some of you dedicated dabb keepers will drum up more interest in them with more experienced keepers....alond with native txa like the Sauromalus.which are also awesome lizards..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts