Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was just wondering if there is any way to "wein" a piranha into eating in front of you?, i have had my piranha's now for about a month and the guy i bought them off of told me they were savage killers and i even saw them eat in his tank, but they still wont eat for me. it's like they purposly wait for me to go to sleep. i even put a big piece of beefheart in yesterday and i had to fish it out a few hours later cuz they wouldn't eat it. any help or advice would be great!

thanks guys

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
some fish are just more shy than others and take longer to get comfortable enoughf to eat infront of you. However some like my rhom will never eat with you around. Ive only seen him eat twice in over 2 years, but my natts, piraya, and caribe eat infront of me all the time.

·
Registered
153 Posts
try not feeding them for a while, not starving them so much that they eat eachother but just until they are realy hungury and if they dont eat when u drop in the food take it out and offer it again later when there even more hungery

·
Skankzilla
18,320 Posts
Another thing is don't be so close to the tank. Just imagine what they are thinking, some giant thing watching them really close so the last thing they are thinking is, hey looks lets grab something to eat.

Good thing is maybe turn off the tank lights (leave room lights on) or other way around, sit back about 10 feet and watch. Then after a few days move like a foot closer and so on, after awhile they should get used to you.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Do you have a lot of hiding room for them to be comfertable lurking in wait for the food? It took my p's almost a month before they would eat in front of me,and now as soon as i drop it in they eat, but if someone else is in the room and they can see them they leave it alon till they think no one is watching.

·
Registered
494 Posts
my rhom wouldnt eat in front of me for like 2-3 weeks so i started giving him food but only leaving it in there for like 10 minutes tops and watching... soon he realized that if he didnt eat in those 10 minutes he wasnt going to eat untill the next day...try it out...

·
These colours don't run !
4,895 Posts
33truballa33 said:
they are still adjust to u and their new home.. just give them time and theyll come out of their shells
[snapback]821919[/snapback]​

·
8,401 Posts
b_ack51 said:
Another thing is don't be so close to the tank. Just imagine what they are thinking, some giant thing watching them really close so the last thing they are thinking is, hey looks lets grab something to eat.

Good thing is maybe turn off the tank lights (leave room lights on) or other way around, sit back about 10 feet and watch. Then after a few days move like a foot closer and so on, after awhile they should get used to you.
[snapback]822672[/snapback]​

This is what I did with my guys... leave the tank lights on, and shut everything else off in the room. Then take a seat back from the tank sit still and quietly watch them. They will come around, it just takes time

·
Registered
579 Posts
b_ack51 said:
[snapback]822672[/snapback]​
That works on my babies. Even when it's not feeding time, when the lights are off, they swim around more than if the lights are on.
And when it is feeding time, and I move alot when I throw the food in, they won't eat it at once. But if I sit totally still right after I have had the food in, they don't bother me and eat.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.