Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 40 gallon right now, and my red's never seem to go to the top.... so i think it just might be a lot of wasted space....... what if i went with a long breeder aquarium??? would it effect my p's????? could i hold more?? thanks

·
Death is fair to everyone.
5,310 Posts
A longer wider tank is more important than a tall one but all 3 whould be nice. Your ps will take advantage of height too. Turn off the light and keep something on so you can atleast see them a little. They will swim all over.

·
"Nitro"
5,386 Posts
I guess as long as thier is 10" of water it should be fine. I wouldn't go too shallow though.

·
The ASSMAN
20,469 Posts
This has come up before and almost everyone is under the impression that pygos just hang at the bottom. well all I have to say is:

My pygos never just hang at the bottom unless I am doing a water change or they are stressed or scared for some reason.

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
I agree with Jeff: I think that most pygo's will hang out near the bottom when they are stressed or uneasy.

My reds usually hang out in the upper half of the tank. Only when they are spooked, or when I have to reach into their tank for redecorating purpose, or when changing water, they all huddle up, very close to the bottom.

·
Captain Britannia
4,817 Posts
mine spend most of their time swimming at the bottom but do swim all over the tank alot especially since my power head is only 2-3'' from the surface.
the new tank i am getting is going to be 20'' high ,i would not go below 12'' high if you are getting a long tank
dixon

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
grosse you said that your p's hang out around the top a lot, but your aquarium doesnt look that tall... how tall is that?? still a very beautiful set up!!!!! wow

·
The ASSMAN
20,469 Posts
phensway said:
grosse you said that your p's hang out around the top a lot, but your aquarium doesnt look that tall... how tall is that?? still a very beautiful set up!!!!! wow
Never said my tank was tall, It is 22"-24" tall, I dont know for sure and havent measured it. My point is that my pygos dont hang around the bottom, unlike most will say. I have been saying that pygos are not a bottom fish like most think. I do agree that a wider and longer tank is better for pygos, but they will use the entire tank when they feel comfortable. This is based solely on my observations, although I do think pygos are a middle level fish in the wild but most are not given that chance in the aquarium.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
When my p's were smaller they used to hang towards the bottom, but when they got larger they all over the place. My tank is 24" high.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts