Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey i got my 125 home today (still need to buy filters, heaters, etc) but i was wondering how many strip lights i should get? it's 6 feet long, so should i get 2 at 36"? or what do you guys currently have on your setups? and should i get flourescent or natural colored bulbs?

·
Death is fair to everyone.
5,310 Posts
3) 18 inchers, 2) 36 inchers The 18 inchers would look nicer. And then for bulbs go with the natural sunlight by ge at the local lowes or builder square. It's a lot cheaper

·
Registered
792 Posts
i copied my lighting setup from mattias, after seeing his tank. He had 2 36 inch lights (I'm using 1 48 inch and 1 24 inch) and in front of those he has 2 24inch (I have 1 48 inch). I have my 48 and 24 on a timer so that they turn on at 9:30 in the morning and turn off at 8:30 at night. My lone 48 inch is on a timer that turns on at 8 in the morning and turns off at 10 at night. The 48 is colored purple. It looks pretty sweet. Its the same idea as mattias, with a few minor adjustments.

·
OPEFE
10,249 Posts
I only use 2 36" daily for dim light and sometimes switch on a third one!

·
Got Rice?!?
2,648 Posts
nitrofish said:
I dont have lighting on my 125 gallon piranha tank
I have lights but I never never never turn them on. Much better for the fish I believe. I think that me and Nitro are the only ones that think this way though. I like to create as little stress for my fish as possible. Bright lights an P's just dont mix.

~Dj

·
"Nitro"
5,386 Posts
InSinUAsian said:
nitrofish said:
I dont have lighting on my 125 gallon piranha tank
I have lights but I never never never turn them on. Much better for the fish I believe. I think that me and Nitro are the only ones that think this way though. I like to create as little stress for my fish as possible. Bright lights an P's just dont mix.

~Dj
ya, theres plenty of light in the room to see the fish anyway. besides they have always went nuts with the lights on the tank, so when I bought my 125 gallon tank I just got the glass tops instead of a full hood.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
what i think i'm gonna do is... since i work for a solar screen company, building solar screens for homes.. i'm going to make a couple 8" x 30" (rough estimate) screens to mount underneath the lighting.. they block out a lot of heat and UV rays, and still let adequate light get through... so HOPEFULLY this will be a nice little idea if it works out as planned... i'll post pics once i get it created

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.