Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've been keeping my 5 rbps for since september 2006 and their sizes range from 3 to 5in. All of them are still slightly spotty. They are housed in a 55g and have grown about two inches since I got them.

So theres the background, my first question is what is the usual growth rate? How often should I be feeding them at this size and development?
Thanks

Also presently I feed them once every two days and have had a lot of trouble with ammonia.

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
I've been keeping my 5 rbps for since september 2006 and their sizes range from 3 to 5in. All of them are still slightly spotty. They are housed in a 55g and have grown about two inches since I got them.

So theres the background, my first question is what is the usual growth rate? How often should I be feeding them at this size and development?
Thanks

Also presently I feed them once every two days and have had a lot of trouble with ammonia.
i think you will need a bigger tank. they grow very quick, and to house 5 permenantly i would suggest at least a 100/120 gallon tank with a 6 ft long footprint...As far as feeding goes at that size i would personnaly feed them once a day, and do a 20-40% water change once a week , this will help with your ammonia.. post some pics man

·
Registered
4,114 Posts
I would definitely recommend feeding them at least once a day, if not twice a day still.

Also, some more background on your tank would be helpful... what are your water parameters now? How often are you doing water changes? What kind of filtration do you have? Are you using a gravel vac when you do your water changes?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Water params are PH7.0, Ammonia 40ppm, Nitrate 20, Nitrite 0. Also, I only plan on keeping three I have a friend who will take two off my hands soon.

As for a gravel vac, I've been using a siphon which tends to get a decent amount of solid debris out from inside the gravel.

filtration is a penguin 350 bio-wheel and a Whisper 60 which came off of a smaller tank with electric catfish in it (which i highly recommend!). I don't think this matters but I have a powerhead in there too

I'm doing water changes once a day now but before I was doing them much less frequently after I changed too much and damaged the biological filter.
Thanks again for all the help I've really been at a wall here for a while and have only belonged to the site to look at pictures.

What is a normal growth rate?

·
Registered
4,114 Posts
You really need to get that ammonia down to 0... it can really be very harmful for your fish to have it any higher.

As for normal growth rate... with good care rbps can reach adult size in less than a year and actually show signs of breeding... when I had rbps, I had them to 4-5" in about 4 months and I am sure I could have had them to full adult size of 8" or so within a year. The key is to have a varied diet and keep up on water changes and make them swim in the powerhead.

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
ok man.....you dont need to do water changes everyday, so you can save yourself some time on that one.....do about a 40-50% change once a week while your doing your vac's, or do a 30% twice a week....normal growth rate should of been a bit quicker then what your's have been growing....when they're small like that, w/ proper feeding, water changes etc...they should grow an inch to an inch and a half a month...yours only grew 2 in 4 months....they should of grown atleast 4.....what have you been feeding them aswell??? proper diet should be like bloodworms (when they were a couple inch's) krill, raw shrimp, talpia, white meat, fish fillets.......aswell 5 shouldnt technically be housed in a 55g tank, i would say no pygo could be housed in a 55 for life......you could do 4 in a 75 for life....probably squeez in the 5th MAYBE.......thats a big maybe.....id personally suggest grabbin like a 120, and grab another or 2 reds to toss in there...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok man.....you dont need to do water changes everyday, so you can save yourself some time on that one.....do about a 40-50% change once a week while your doing your vac's, or do a 30% twice a week....normal growth rate should of been a bit quicker then what your's have been growing....when they're small like that, w/ proper feeding, water changes etc...they should grow an inch to an inch and a half a month...yours only grew 2 in 4 months....they should of grown atleast 4.....what have you been feeding them aswell??? proper diet should be like bloodworms (when they were a couple inch's) krill, raw shrimp, talpia, white meat, fish fillets.......aswell 5 shouldnt technically be housed in a 55g tank, i would say no pygo could be housed in a 55 for life......you could do 4 in a 75 for life....probably squeez in the 5th MAYBE.......thats a big maybe.....id personally suggest grabbin like a 120, and grab another or 2 reds to toss in there...
I've been feeding trout tilapia and salmon fillets combined with the occasional shrimp and feeders about once every two days. also is that filtration OK? three pygos aren't going to be alrgight in a 55 gal?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts