Piranhas Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Sex Kitten Lover
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My cpu is acting much like Jonas's. So we are thinking of just getting another one, we can get one custom built for us, here are the specs:

System ONLY:
P4-1.8GHZ CPU
Intel MATX Motherboard
Integrated Audio, Video, LAN
256MB DDRAM
Teac 1.44 Floppy
Keytronics 104 Keyboard
Seagate 20GB HDD
Benq 52X CD-ROM
Aopen 48X CDRW
MS Mouse
In-Win MATX Mini-Tower Case
MS Windows 2000 Pro
1 Year Depot Warranty

$795, we would probaly just keep our current monitor, your thoughts?

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
Sounds like a decent deal, but a couple of things could be better (depending on what you're planning to do with your PC):

- I would definitely go for 512 MB of memory
- If you're planning to use your PC for multimedia purposes (games, DVD and whatnot), stay away from onboard (ie. integrated) graphics cards: they suck! Go for a ATI Radeon 9500 or nVidia Geforce 4 Ti 4200 (those two have the best price-performance ratio)
- 20 GB harddrive is a little small imo (a MP3-collection, a couple of programs, windows and some games quickly use up 15GB nowadays).
- Intel-built motherboards are often ill-equipped for future upgrades (most importantly they often have too few PCI slots: newer processors [keep in mind Intel already broke the 3GHz barrier] are often not supported).

But it's by no means a rip-off: I just think you can get better for 800 bucks.

Anyways, good luck deciding :smile:

·
Registered
146 Posts
You could definatly do better. I just built the same system for ~$570 online at www.pricewatch.com (the god of cheap computer parts websites). But I guess with labor you're not doing too bad, but always nice to build it yourself if you have the know-how.

·
Registered
27,223 Posts
Just rebuild the machine....it will run like new...when i say that i mean format and reinstall the OS.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Definatly a wise idea, X. Even if you have to go out and buy Windows 2000 Pro you're only going to be spending about $200. You can use the other $600 and go buy yourself a new tank or something.

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
Netmancer said:
But I guess with labor you're not doing too bad, but always nice to build it yourself if you have the know-how.
I agree with that: the best system is one you constructed yourself - this way, you have full control over how to configure it. Once you start out with a decent system, you can upgrade certain parts from time to time to stay up-to-date. I did it myself: I started with a measly P2 233MHz, and over the years I slowly upgraded it to what I have now. That's also why I made that comment about the upgradabilty of Intel motherboards.

But I also agree you need a certain amount of computer knowledge to do so...

·
Sex Kitten Lover
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys, could I just re-install windows 98 on this cpu, would that fix the blue screens of death I have been getting alot lately? I do know somewhat about cpu's, I have an associates degree in computer networking, but I have to admit I don't really remember too much

·
Registered
146 Posts
You could if you have the disk and don't mind losing your data, but depending on your CPU specs, you may be better off upgrading to 2000 or XP (no more blue screens for the most part, yay!)

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
Well, you could at least try it before spending a lot of cash on a new one.

And I also advise you to toss Windows 98 in the garbage bin, and switch to Windows 2000 or XP professional (they're more stable and reliable imo/ime).

·
Dodge City
10,070 Posts
Judazzz said:
- If you're planning to use your PC for multimedia purposes (games, DVD and whatnot), stay away from onboard (ie. integrated) graphics cards: they suck!
Hello,
Check www.pricewatch.com . You can surely do better.
I've got ASUS A7N266 motherboard and XP 1800 CPU. Onboard 32mb shared Video and built in Dolby 5.1 surround sound. I love it . For sure go for the 512 ram . Some systems being offered are using PC 133 ram and I'd stay away from them , go for at least DDR RamIt's great for most games and all video needs including DVD for me. You can upgrade the video later if you like or as $$ allow.
Pete

·
Sex Kitten Lover
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I guess we will look around for a better deal. I don't play much games online, nor ever watched or plan on watching a DVD on a computer, but thanks again.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Then yeah, definatly follow the path me and Juda recommended. Far cheaper and you don't have to go through the hassle of a new computer. It'll be the same one, only...better

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.