Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
4,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was with a friend of mmine at a pet store and there was some tree frogs, so he wanted to get one to feed to my bosc, so we got one and WOW was it crazy. First it just sat there, then it moved a leg and my monitor was on it! It grabbed a leg and it was leaping to get away, my bosc shook it and it got free, they tore all over the tank till it lept on to the glass and at that moment my bosc lept up and picked it off! It then smashed it repeatidly into the substrate getting it covered in walnut shells then swallowed it. He was all sorts of pissed that he had shells in his mouth and he was thrashing his head from side to side, suddenly with a violent thrash the frog flew out!!!! It started running again, my monitor was all over it again and this time got it down for good. It was crazy as hell to see it go flying out and then start running. My bosc has yet to dissapoint me.
 

· WWTCD?
Joined
·
8,963 Posts
Yeah... Beware with buying random frogs and other animals at the pet shop to feed to your bosc. Could end up killing it.

As for the walnut shells... That's a crap substrate to begin with. But feeding in that risks, majorly, ingestion. And walnut shells will simply basically cut up the inside of your animal so mercilessly it'll die of internal bleeding. Not fun. I would change substrates.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
4,339 Posts
Mettle said:
Yeah... Beware with buying random frogs and other animals at the pet shop to feed to your bosc. Could end up killing it.

As for the walnut shells... That's a crap substrate to begin with. But feeding in that risks, majorly, ingestion. And walnut shells will simply basically cut up the inside of your animal so mercilessly it'll die of internal bleeding. Not fun. I would change substrates.
[snapback]861734[/snapback]​
What would you suggest useing? I mean in the wild they ingest dirt and all that crap. It says on the bag that it will be passed with no problems, but I'm open for suggestions.

Also bosc's (savannah's) eat poisonous snakes, so I'm not too worried about the frog I guess. I'm not going to feed him poisonous frogs anyways.

I do wish I had a video of it
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,169 Posts
pamonster said:
Also bosc's (savannah's) eat poisonous snakes, so I'm not too worried about the frog I guess. I'm not going to feed him poisonous frogs anyways.

[snapback]863251[/snapback]​
Just because they're immune the the venom of an African snake does not mean that they're immune to the skin toxins of an American treefrog, all amphibians are poisonous to some extent.

Everyone seems to have their own theory on substrate, but walnut shells are one of the few things that are generally agreed upon as being bad. I've never worked with savs, I have no opinion.

You might want to take a look at this, ionides are basically bigger savannas with funky colors. These guys know what they're doing, I'd listen to them.

-PK
 

· Registered
Joined
·
4,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
BoomerSub said:
Just because they're immune the the venom of an African snake does not mean that they're immune to the skin toxins of an American treefrog, all amphibians are poisonous to some extent.

Everyone seems to have their own theory on substrate, but walnut shells are one of the few things that are generally agreed upon as being bad. I've never worked with savs, I have no opinion.

You might want to take a look at this, ionides are basically bigger savannas with funky colors. These guys know what they're doing, I'd listen to them.

-PK
[snapback]863367[/snapback]​
Thanks for the link, it was informative. Although does it seem like the savannah faq really downplays them and praise others...atleast it seemed like that to me.
I looked at ionides and an entire slew of monitors and tegu's before i decided to get my bosc, he has every trait I deem worthy in a herp and has yet to dissapoint.
 

· reasonably awesome
Joined
·
7,332 Posts
Death in # said:
dam those pics are sad
sick people in the world
[snapback]864956[/snapback]​
for a guy who's name infers massacre/slaughter, you sure are a wuss!


the first lizard eating the mouse is a savannah monitor, right? and what would the 2nd one be? How big are those two lizards? Are the mice adults?
those beautiful pics are saved on my hd!
 
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top