Piranhas Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have no idea how it happened i went to bed last night just to wake up in disbelief all 13 of my tropical fish had died what's strange about this is that i do water test every other day and everything looked fine as well as the fish themselves until last night. i awoke to a sickening sight all my fish were dying one by one i hurried up and transferred a few of them to my back up tank to help recover but it was to no use as they steadily died one by one. my ? to all this is this if i do water test and everything looks fine how can this happen over night i mean the fish were all swimming around fine last night breathing and swimmin so i ask how?
am just glad i have not purchased my p's yet

·
Registered
431 Posts
i would have said maybe they were eletricuted but it would have killed them all not a few at a time. Did you put your hand in the tank yesterday like after coming out of the bathroom or cleaning? Soap and bleach would kill them pretty quickly. I cant really think of anything else that could have killed them that fast. SOrry for your loss though man

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
5 tiger barbs 4 giant danios 4 little tetras 1 upside down catfish left in the 55 gallon is a pleco and another upside down cat still cant figure how the ammonia level shot upp that fast oh well guess it is back to the drawing board to try and get this thing right b4 i make my piranha purchase

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
I am very sorry about your loss,
I have had simelar things twice before, once my heater cracked and only the catfish in the tank survived (I guess they were touching the bottom and had a connection to earth), the other time was 6-8 weeks ago and it was a mystery as to what happend, and to be honest it doesn't really matter what caused the problem, just how to fix it.
I would house whatever fish are left in a large bucket/spare tank and clean out the problematic tank, re-fill it with new water and add some cheap fish, after I had cleaned out my tank, I had to put the remaining fish into the tank despite cycling worrys, but they have all been doing great and I have had no deaths since then.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
and then there was one now all i have is the pleco and he seems to be doing better after i treated the water found out my babysitters boyfriend was coming over and feeding them also so now i know there cause of death

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
I doubt that it was extra feeding, unless he was feeding them soap or something stupid like that.

·
Death is fair to everyone.
5,310 Posts
I think your ammonia can rise fast with a high ph

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.