Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you had read my earlier post I was having a ammonia problem in my 125 gal. tank it was a 2ppm with weekly water chandes and siphoning!

I was told by a marine biologist to remove my driftwood because it was breaking up in my tank and causing my water to soften and PH to fall drastically which in turn caused my bacteria not to develop in significant enough numbers to remove my ammonia at ph of 6.0.

I removed driftwood on friday and did siphoning and a 30% water changed and raised my Ph to 7.0.

Checked today and Ammonia is a 0 and ph is stable at 6.8

This goes to show that ammonia is not always caused by poor husbandry techniques!! Tis case was caused by rottting driftwood!!!

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,487 Posts
Congrats man!!!
Good info to know for future referrences!!

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I thought this info is very helpful!

I could not figure out what I was doing wrong with my tank and that was definitly the problem!

That driftwood came with the tank I had purchased used and was very old and had been in the tank for years!
Also I had 2 common plecos chewing on it all the time which compounded the problem.

I am much happier knowing that my fish are happier

·
"Nitro"
5,386 Posts
I heard you can seal driftwood so that dosent happen.

·
"Nitro"
5,386 Posts
heres what little I know:

cedar is bad because it leaks oils into the water

and polyurathane is one way to seal driftwood.(never done it, but thinking about it in the future.)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts