Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As stated in my other thread:

In order of significance:
1) I change my water once a week every Monday
2) On random days (towards the end of the week) I check the ammonia and nitrite levels. Ammonia is usally 0 (nitrite is always 0), but if not, I change the water ASAP and problem solved.
3) This week, I checked my ammonia lvl on Thursday and it was 0.5
4) I gravel vaced throughly and checked for rotting food (none).
5) I check ammonia later on in the day and it is still 0.5 ppm.
6) I gravel vac once more the next day.
7) Also, I clean the bio-bag on my whisper 30 with tap water (which I find out is not a good idea) because I figured since the gravel vacing wasnt working, maybe it was something in my filter.
8) Ammonia still reads 0.5 ppm
9) I add some ammo-lock just in case.
10) I check my ammonia again and it reads extremely high 4.0+ now.
11) On Monday, I figure my bio-bag is done anywho, so I get a new one as well as ammo-chips. I do a water change + replace filter w/ ammo chips.
12) Check ammonia again still very high.
13) People say I need more filtration.
14) Today I get an extra Whisper 40 (combined with my Whisper 30).
15) I add "cycle" to induce bacteria but don't remove carbon (forgot).
16) Ammonia still reads high.

Do you think the ammonia will lower soon?
Should I still add cycle and how so?
Should I get more ammo-lock?
What to do? TY

· Registered
10,778 Posts
Since there are fish in there, and your ammonia is reading high. WATER CHANGE ASAP!!!! At least 40% change, gotta bring those levels down, or it will hurt your fish.

Call me crazy, but test your tap water for ammonia. Most people also say nothing but bio spira works, never tried cycle...cant help there.

· Registered
800 Posts
Filo said:
Since there are fish in there, and your ammonia is reading high. WATER CHANGE ASAP!!!! At least 40% change, gotta bring those levels down, or it will hurt your fish.
Call me crazy, but test your tap water for ammonia. Most people also say nothing but bio spira works, never tried cycle...cant help there.
[snapback]864894[/snapback]​
i thought the problem would be lack of bacteria. is that wrong?

i did 3 water changes since thursday

· Registered
10,778 Posts
problem is lack of bacteria, and some how by cleaning the filters, it seems like you caused a "mini cycle". But a quick way to disperse ammonia is water change. Sorry
I would try to get my hands on biospira asap, or if you got a friend with an established filter he could lend you...

· Registered
797 Posts
Stop adding Cycle. Don't add anything except Bio-Spira.

Cycle, Bio Zyme, Stress Zyme, all that crap -- it's not nitrifying bacteria. It's the type of bacteria that breaks food and waste down into ammonia and such. (They are also necessary, but this is obviously not the problem.) It's the wrong kind. All it does is screw with the tank. And yes, I have tried them.

Get Bio Spira.

· Registered
10,778 Posts
I would get some Amquel plus if I were you. It removes ammonia, not sure if it can remove that much tho...if I were you I would change the water --a lot of it, once a day until I could get biospira...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.