Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
:nod: i've been maintaining piranhas for 25 years,and most of the times i've been successful in keeping them a long time, that is because i've always picked my piranha personally to make sure they were in tip top shape, but sometimes some bad stuff afflicting piranhas are invisible to the naked eye so they pop-up at a later time that is when we turn to medications....BAD MOVE !!!...most of the times meds. do not work or they kill the fish! the best cure is PREVENTION. filters and water changes are never superfluous, but sometimes the condition was already there when you bought the fish and it was invisible until the condition becomes full blown, then you start seeing things...and you get frustrated...spend a lot of money on meds.that work very little or do not work at all..and sometimes kills the fish.....THIS IS WHAT I DO! i get rid of the sick fish and i get rid of the disease and my frustration, and use that money for medications to buy a brand new healthy piranha,
so now i have a new piranha in my tank a new novelty new colors new attitude to enjoy and the hell with the frustrations and stress of diseased fishes and medications that do not work,believe me it sounds stupid but is the best thing to do..i've tryied every thing with medications and spent a lot of money and a lot of hassle
with water changes raising temperatures etc.
you do not need all this sh*t after all it is not a human being or a dog .cat etc...it is just a fish! enjoy them but never get too attached, this way it will be much easier to get rid of them when they become a pain in the ass.
spend your life enjoing more important things in this world......YOUR PEACE OF MIND!!
ARAMAX

·
LionHart
13,099 Posts
Yeah, I don't view my fish as being quite so "Disposable."
Part of the responsibility of having a creature under your care is to do just that... "Care" for them.

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
i dont agree with your theory either dude sorry to say.....when a fish is sick, pawning it off to someone else to worry about isnt cool.....thats like saying someone went into the hospital to get taken care of, then they found out he had cancer, so they just shipped him off to another place so they could get someone in way better condition.....put it this way, if you get a sick fish in your words you will get rid of it for another...so technically if nobody notices this problem, or does nothing about it you technically took they're lives away....not what i like to hear

·
Nurses Do It Better
10,000 Posts
I have to disagree to. I've spent more on some fish than on pet dogs :laugh: Anyways, I do agree that meds should be used as a last resort due to there toxicity and in most cases when it looks bad. I don't think there is any sense in selling a sick fish. Also, euthanization is an option that makes sense but most people don't like to give up on their fish that they spent a good $$$ on. Anyways I respect your opinion, which you and every one else here is entitled to. As far as the peace of mind comment i would have more of it if i knew i tried my best with the knowledge that is available to me. This should be an interesting discussion.

·
Hello Everybody!
2,049 Posts
Keeping a fish is very much like keeping a dog... They are both living creatures that rely on you for their life and well-being. True, a fish will never fetch your slippers but it will beg for food.:laugh:

What would you do if you introduced a seemingly healthy fish to your group of pygos and it gets sick with say... flukes. He's flashing like crazy so you decide instead of treating him, you donate it to someone. Now, the new owner has a sick fish that can potentially kill his collection if he does not quarantine. But wait... Now that the sick fish is gone, you find a couple more of your fish flashing away. Now what??? Get rid of the one or two that are displaying symptoms, right? Sooner or later, you would have given away your whole collection. How much would that have cost? Knowing how to treat the sick fish and buying the appropriate med might have cost about $20.

To many hobbyists, fish are not just property. I do know of many people who flip their fish as soon as they get bored with them. Nothing wrong with that... It's their decision... But what I find most fascinating about this hobby is the journey. The knowledge you will gain about husbandry, taxonomy, and the friends you meet that share in the same interests. If you get rid of a fish as soon as it gets sick, you miss out on the opportunity of finding out what it is and how to treat it so you can help someone else in the future or even yourself if it should ever rear its ugly head again.

/end of rant

Oh, BTW... Meds do work (well most of them). When it fails, it usually because the fish is too far gone to make a difference, the disease was misdiagnosed so the wrong med was used, or meds were overdosed/used improperly.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.