Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
The ASSMAN
20,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are having a cold stretch in the NW here and as some of you know...my fish room is in my garage....so I added another heater last night to help with the 30 degree temps we are experiencing. Well...apparently I overloaded the power on one side of my room...so at 7pm last night, both heaters in the room shut off, all the heaters and filters in the irritans, maculatus, brandtii, dovii and elongatus tanks were off as well.
I was just leaving for work when I remembers I needed to measure a tank for some bulkheads I need to order. While in the garage, I decided to see how warm the fishroom was with the new heater....I open the door and was like sh*t it is cold in here. Then I noticed the filter not working. The room was at 40 degrees and the tanks affected were at 60-62 degrees. The fish were lethargic at best...just not really moving. So I flipped the power and got the filter and heaters going....(another reason I hate emperor filters...that only fricken filter I couldnt get restarted just by flipping on the power...and I still didnt get the pos working). I moved one heater to a different power source on a different breaker.......and went to work.
This is probably the first time I have went into my fishroom in the morning...for whatever reason...in probably a year. I have no doubt I would have lost all those fish...and possibly more...If I hadnt went into that room. Someone was really looking over my shoulder this morning because I knew the different size bulkheads I needed...but just before driving to work....I decided to measure again just to be sure. If I hadnt done that.....those tanks would be ice by the time I got home tonight.

I guess I will see when I get home how bad it actually is......hopefully the breaker doesnt flip again today...that would suck ass.

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
MAn that would have been a huge blow to loose all those fish glad there ok

·
Registered
371 Posts
WOW. THAT is what I'd call a fish story. Count your blessings as you're counting the fish that made it through the night. Poor guys. Good luck with the survivors. Maybe a propane heater?

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Yeah we all hope no damage was really done.
You really seem to be dependent on heaters.
I suppose it is not possible to heat the garage itself.

Harry

·
The ASSMAN
20,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Harry
The garage is 50'X35' and the ceiling is 20' tall and has 3 garage doors. I really doubt I could find a way to heat that size room that wouldnt cost me a fortune.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Glad to hear you got a handle on it maybe just in time before the unthikable would have happened. Yeah, you guys are having some messed up weather there. On this side of the country it was in the high 50s today...unseasonably warm?

·
Offical P-Fury Ex-communicant
6,712 Posts

Harry
The garage is 50'X35' and the ceiling is 20' tall and has 3 garage doors. I really doubt I could find a way to heat that size room that wouldnt cost me a fortune.
[/quote]

You would be amazed what a small heater can do today. You can heat that garage over the winter w/ electric, propane or kerosene very cheaply.

You have such an amazing collection that I would recommend a generator back up for at least your fishroom. You can get a setup like that for a $1500-2000 (money well spent). Im gonna be adding this setup to my fishroom in early December.

·
The ASSMAN
20,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You would be amazed what a small heater can do today. You can heat that garage over the winter w/ electric, propane or kerosene very cheaply.
Really? Call me tonight and let me know what you are thinking...because I cant think of a cheap alternative.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I really doubt I could find a way to heat that size room that wouldnt cost me a fortune.
Most of my tanks are in my unheated attic. Not as cold as your garage, but still cold. I insulated the bottoms, tops, & sides with rigid foam insulation. It works extremely well. Why heat a large space of air when it is better to keep the heat in the water?

·
The ASSMAN
20,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I really doubt I could find a way to heat that size room that wouldnt cost me a fortune.
Most of my tanks are in my unheated attic. Not as cold as your garage, but still cold. I insulated the bottoms, tops, & sides with rigid foam insulation. It works extremely well. Why heat a large space of air when it is better to keep the heat in the water?
Actually...if I could heat the air to 80* or so...it would be much nicer. You have to understand we are talking about 9 tanks and soon to be over 1200 gallons of water.

·
Offical P-Fury Ex-communicant
6,712 Posts
Really? Call me tonight and let me know what you are thinking...because I cant think of a cheap alternative.
[/quote]

Sure man. I want to talk to you about something anyways.

Is your garage door insulated? If so whats the r value?

What we can do is cover your door with some cheap white bead insulation or maybe some celotex and then maybe a covering of some FfmF (foil foam foil insulation) or we can save some money and use FBF(foil bubble foil) or FfgV (foil fiberglass vinyl) or FF(foil foil) Lot of options Jeff. We'll talk later bout it.

What size are the garage panels?

·
The ASSMAN
20,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sure man. I want to talk to you about something anyways.

Is your garage door insulated? If so whats the r value?

What we can do is cover your door with some cheap white bead insulation or maybe some celotex and then maybe a covering of some FfmF (foil foam foil insulation) or we can save some money and use FBF(foil bubble foil) or FfgV (foil fiberglass vinyl) or FF(foil foil) Lot of options Jeff. We'll talk later bout it.

What size are the garage panels?
I have insulated the garage door with that 2" styrofoam insulation panels....you know...the pink ones. It is not completely air tight...but pretty close.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts