Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
o yea they eat meaty foods by the way.. shirmp, beef heart, worms, anything.. the only thing i have been uncessesful is pelets... will they diseaper but i dont see them eat it so i am not sure where it goes...

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
waspride said:
Don't they get huge??
[snapback]856242[/snapback]​
Yes they do. A big male can reach 225 pounds, the females top out at around fifty or so. They're the size of your average gas lawnmower and can easily lop off a poorly placed hand. I'd recommend a different species first if you have no previous experience with turtles.

They're not too demanding when it comes to water as long as it's warm and reasonably clean. It should be shallow enough that the turtle can stick its neck up and reach the surface easily to breathe.

A 10 gallon will suffice for hatchlings, adults will eventually need a (very large) trough or tub of some kind. They do require UV light like all turtles.

Food's been covered well by HONDAsareFAST, they'll also eat fish as well.

-PK

·
Different Like A Platypus
3,665 Posts
Is it safe to say that with snapping turtles I don't need powerheads or turtle docks?

·
Registered
661 Posts
no land
i have 4
the only time i ever seen them climb out was when my big boy 3" climbed to the top of a plant(top was out of the water) and my little 1 i cought basking with my gator once

1 - 8 of 8 Posts