Piranhas Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
61 - 69 of 69 Posts

·
Banned
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Though this picture has also been posted on the first page, I will post it again for this excellent piece of information!

"...This caught is about to be acknowledged (by some international game fishing association) as the world biggest Channa Micropeltes caught ever by a game fisher!!!! "

·
Banned
1,601 Posts
I would like to mention that when they hit around 26-27"", they eat alot. Understandably, of course.

I just tryed chicken breasts. This works really well. About 1/2 lb ($1.25) every day. Keeps water very clean(Never actually hits water).
rw
Thank you for the information SERRA, I have no experience with this since I was forced to take them out before they could reach such a size. I fed them Rosey Reds everyday. But they have had slices of chicken meat, Ballon Platy once, Goldfish which could have just been once as well but a Plakat/d Betta, an Algae Eater and a Black Oscar were not meant to be feeders. If I remember, my dad once baught crickets but they did not like it, followed and attacked but spitted them out, maybe ate one or two for being hungry but they were really uncomfortable with it. My uncle who worked as a butcher would bring muttons home for his Giant Snakehead, such a fierce animal it was. I wasn't interested in them at such an age and did not watch them often, but heard many stories about them, always the same breaking tank glasses and attacking their owners. But soon, such an urge to own them!

You have mentioned about an adult Giant Snakehead at a restaurant, I would love to see a picture of that Giant Snakehead.

·
Registered
5,301 Posts
Those poor things
I'm amazed that they didn't try to kill each other!
I saw that pic before on an other forum and I had the exact same reaction, but they were in there just temporarily for holding purposes
but still a prettu sad sight. But those snakeheads do look awesome

·
Registered
5,301 Posts
It's good to see that this thread is coming back to life with these great shots

I knew that the gills of the giant snakehead were sharp, but I didn't thought that you could actually cut yourself at the gills, so thnx for sharing

·
Registered
12 Posts
now i HAVE to get one of these
well if you go ouy into the swamps in the us you can get bowfin which is very simailar
[/quote]
Bowfin. Amia calva. Beaverfish. Blackfish. Choupic. Choupique. Cottonfish. Cypress trout. Dogfish. Grindle. Grinnel. Grinner. Lawyer. Mudfish. Poisson-castor. Scaled ling. Shoepick. Shoepik. Shoepike. Shupik. Speckled Cat.

One tough fish, many strange names. The bowfin has been around 150,000,000 years. Dinosaurs? He watched 'em disappear. Sabre-tooth Tiger? Yep, she saw 'em come and go. [email protected]$$? A 12-million-year old rookie! Perfectly adapted to his niche, the bowfin is a survivor from the late Jurassic period of the Mesozoic Era.

We are The Bowfin Anglers Group, the web's premier bowfin angling site. We are dedicated to the pursuit of this great native species and to the education of the uninformed angler who has too often heard this fish called "trash". The Bowfin, with its partner the Gar, claim the title "America's Toughest Sportfish For 100,000,000 Years!©" Almost all of our group started out chasing "those other fish," but upon discovering bowfin, we discovered a whole new world of fun.

Perhaps you dropped in from a link on another fishing site, from discussions enthusiastic, "A great fighting fish, eager to hit anything in your tackle box" to the ludicrous "Their slime is poison - don't even touch them!". Thank you for stopping in, a sure sign of intelligence and natural inquisitiveness. There are many Myths surrounding the bowfin so browse around with an open mind and see what you may be missing.

We are always in search of your bowfin fishing stories, pictures, tips, and news. This is a joint effort - all you Bowfin Anglers out there provide the content, I provide the space, www.bowfinanglers.com. Our updates will occur any time, all the time, so check back often. During prime time we have updates 3 times a week or more! Be sure to visit our sister site The Gar Anglers' Sporting Society (GASS).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Greetings,
If I had not stumbled by accident upon your excellent and informative website two days ago, I would not have known what this fish (that I expected to be a 10 pound [email protected]$$) really was. Certainly deserving of the praise she receives on your site, this fish fought like a champion! I caught her on a live shad in a shallow Chattahoochee tributary (Uchee Creek area). I am an instant bowfin fan!

The spot is on the Georgia side of the Chattahootchee on a shallow flat about a mile or so south of Uchee Creek, near the place Oswichee Creek hits the Chattahoochee River. The flooded area around the creek may not be substantial enough to show up as blue on the map, but we were in there about 30 yards from the channel, and the area was about 30 yards across, tapering down to almost nothing about 150 yards from the chattahoochee's main channel.

I would definitely call it a Georgia fin, but I suspect he may have dual citizenship.

Keep up the great work on your website!

61 - 69 of 69 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.