EverY Dog Has His Day
5,059 Posts
NIce pics, u guys added some very nice pics, Big snakheads

·
Registered
5,301 Posts
it is probably very easy to find one in hte us...who cares if its legal or not
I do

They are illegal for a reason. As long as irrisponsible fishkeepers release their fish in the wild because they can't take care for them anymore, I think that it is good that these. And also keep in mind that snakeheads have the potential too do some serious damage to the native fish population

But I have to say that it is a bad thing that the good and responsible fishkeepers are being the 'victims' due to these irrisponsible fishkeepers

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
im with ya on that one. Mabey we should see if they would issue permits to us to possess these fish. probably not, infact definately not but you never know

and no they are not easy to find, almost impossible.

·
Registered
5,301 Posts
and no they are not easy to find, almost impossible.
[/quote]

Your idea about permits could work out good, in my opinion
In that case the autorities can control it and snakeheads wouldn't be released in the wild anymore.

·
Banned
1,601 Posts
Excellent guys, and Jan your two Giant Snakeheads are an excellent specimen. Hope to see some new pictures soon, let's see what they look like now. They make me miss my two Giant Snakeheads that I once had.

I know some people believe that the Giant Snakehead is an overrated predator which I believe is untrue. I would say this people are talking without truly knowing this predator. I have known them from my childhood and you can imagine the stories that I have heard about them. Why would someone lie about it anyway? And the stories that you hear aren't from little kids and boys, but those who are active in fishing / fish keeping. Recently I was told by one of my cousin brothers that a guy who had been playing a remote control boat in a lake had accidentally had his toy stuck somewhere in the weedy areas and what happened was, this guy had decided to swim to get it.

He jumped into the lake, I am not sure how far was the little boat from him, so as he was swimming, a Giant Snakehead that appeared out of nowhere striked his tummy in a lightning speed, he said the vicious predator snapped and ripped it off. Sadly the guy died. I am not sure whether they were people around, that they saw the Giant Snakehead or was it known after an investigation.

So stories of fatalities and castrations you hear caused by Giant Snakeheads are no joke, it is only funny when you don't believe it. Why do I have to lie? It does nothing for me and why does my cousin brother who is a father and who is someone that occasionaly goes fishing have to lie to me? I didn't make myself to love this predator but this predator itself made me love it for being who it truly is.

Recently I had mentioned to one of my College lecturers about my experience with the Giant Snakeheads while we talked about pets, all he said after I mentioned the name 'Toman' was ," whoa..."
and he told me that one would need a tank with a thick glass. That's right, it is so popular for breaking tank glasses and biting its owners fingers off. People, this predator's name is The Giant Snakehead!!!

·
Registered
5,301 Posts
Great story, thnx for sharing

The power of adult giant snakehead is something you always have to keep in mind if you (decide to)keep them and is something that should never be underestimated

I have found several stories about serious injuries and fatalities on the internet as well. I have posted one of these stories in this thread that I started a while back:

http://www.piranha-fury.com/pfury/index.php?showtopic=100281

·
Banned
1,601 Posts
Very true, that's an awesome article, glad they have given us such an information. But if you check on the first page of this thread, I have already posted the article, maybe you posted it first. But it doesn't matter, it is something that we should read over and over again!

A Giant Snakehead's aggressiveness can actually be seen from an early age / stage. When mine were still juveniles, they would attack all the feeders until their belly is puffed staying still on the subsurface. Reminded me of the Pythons and Anacondas that would eat and just sleep discharging the food. I have some feeding videos of a juvenile Giant Snakehead, just wondering how to post them here in this thread..and if that is possible.

·
Banned
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Lol I editted it with paint, but yes I see the Tyrannosaurus Rex when I see the Giant Snakehead. To me, they are the T-Rex of the fresh water!

·
Banned
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
And here is a must read article regarding the Giant Snakehead.

Giant Snakehead (Channa micropeltes)

The largest member of the family Channidae, the toman is a fish without fear.
Not that many beasts have the means or mind to tackle a near 1.3 metre torpedo tipped with shearing canine teeth resembling "a knife with two cutting edges in cross-section." Add the demeanour of a rabid crocodile, and you have a rippling muscle of a fish known to have carried-out near castrations on naked apes. Many small fish will school in a frantic feeding frenzy when a man approaches the water's edge; a full-grown toman is beneath such fervour. He pins a cold gaze at the land-locked creature, showing off his jaguar-like blotches at the turn of a lazy fin, thrusting through the water with effortless calm whichever way the man walks. "Enter my home," he beckons, "and feast on my fury."

Stop killing them!
look at that chopper and those scales scattered around. Poor Giant Snakeheads.

·
Banned
1,601 Posts
"Luk-Krok" as said in Thailand is a school of the Giant Snakehead fry. What an awesome sight! imagine you see this while you're on a boat ," my God what is that thing?!"
getting close to it is messing with the mommy and daddy which how most of the Giant Snakehead attack occurs. The male patrols the area near the numerous fry, while the female keeps a rear guard as well as directing the fry when and where to surface. Jean Francois Helias casts passing the ball of fry and reel through it and imagine the attack that would occur. But sometimes The Giant Snakehead is smart and would not simply attack but just knock the bait out of the water or just chase it with its mouth closed. Oh, this is just some of the Giant Snakehead hunting.

By Jean Francois Helias:

Article introduction:

Spawning snakeheads have a fascinating behavior pattern. The adults guard the balls of blood red fry and push them, at intervals, to the surface to breathe air. Spotting a ball of surfacing fry, following, and then casting to them can be an exciting contest. Of course we are not trying to catch fry. We are trying to catch the guards.

Once we are within casting distance, the cry begins, "Tee, tee, tee!" ("Cast, cast, cast!"). We begin tossing our top water lures over the fry ball. The purpose is to aggravate the guarding adults into attacking. The action is fast and furious. Total sight fishing. There is really nothing else that compares to it. It can be exerting. A ball of fry could be worked for over an hour in sweltering heat. It is truly a team effort. Spotting, chasing, positioning. It all comes together with an explosive strike and a solid hook-set.

More: http://www.carpecarpio.com/lukkrocbyjeanfrancois.html

21 - 40 of 69 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.