Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I have a 55g tank with five 3 inch rbp in there. I also have two 3 inch plecos in there. I keep my water at 80 degrees and have a wet/dry filter. I have had live sword plants in there for about two weeks. Then yesterday I added some more plants, Wisteria, and some others that i forget what they are called. Today I noticed little tiny pieces of algea that are attached to the front of the glass. You can only see them if you look hard. They have little floating trails that float in the water from where they are attached. Also it looks like one of my plecos has bulging eyes. No other fish has this. My water parameters are fine, tank has cycled so there is some nitrates but no ammonia or nitrites. However, I do have a high compact light system that puts out 260 watts. This is the first time I have seen any algea in here. I have an algea scraper but I wonder if the plecos will take care of this. I wonder if the algea is caused by too many plants or by a certain plant? All my fish are used to the lights and they are on 12 hours a day with a timer. Any input would be appreciated. Also the tank is not in direct sunlight. Thanks again!

·
Registered
83 Posts
hey whats up,i had a algea problem too. im pretty sure that the lights can make the algea grow,the sun light also.those algea eaters should eat the algea for you.when i put live plants in my 55gal i had a outbreak of algea appear on the glass. if i were you i wouldnt worry about it,just clean the front glass if it gets too bad. good luck

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
I think adding some more live plants will take care of the problem, since they'll absorb the nutrients algae feed on... And high light levels (and direct sunlight) can cause algae blooms, so dimming your tank lights may work as well.
I don't know if your pleco will take care of the algae (mine never cared about the algae I used to have in my tank): you could try a couple of oto's (or dwarf sucker fish): they can rid a tank of algae in just one night, but they might end up as piranha lunch.....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts