Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Breaki'n all day...
4,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey i had an algae outbreak yesterday and i am wondering if cleaning off all the algae on my plants will help them grow? or does it make them more healthier with it all off??

i have no clue. the top of my hygrophila looks amazing but the bottom has brown on the leaves an it looks like crap.

Thanks

·
Registered
589 Posts
I'm bumping this seeing how I was thinking the same. I get algea on my plants and was wondering if it is harmful to them also.

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Sheppard said:
hey i had an algae outbreak yesterday and i am wondering if cleaning off all the algae on my plants will help them grow? or does it make them more healthier with it all off??
The top of my hygrophila looks amazing but the bottom has brown on the leaves
Hi Sheppard,

A thick algae coating on a plant leaves will evidently kill or greatly harm the plant.
Also one must remember that some algae (dark green filamentous) is very hard to remove and usually heavy cleaning will only damage the leaf surface. So the only thing to do is to remove the most affected leaves.

Regarding Hygrophila it is a good practice to cut the stem, replant the upper, clean part and discard the old lower part of the stem.

Regards,

·
I HAVE THE SOUVLAKI POWER!!!!!
3,689 Posts
First of all it depends on the type of algae you have.Algae can stop your plants growth but bear in mind that the appearence of algae means most of the times that your tank's water chemistry is unstable...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts