Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new at keeping Piranha and I have read about them before I purchased them. I thought I set the tank up correctly, but I am missing something. After only 3 days with the fish in the new tank, there was a smell coming from the tank (I figured this must be from Algae). You can see a slight foaming around the edges of the tank. Does anyone know why there would be so much Algae in the tank already? Is there certain chemicals or testing I can do to straighten this out? PLEASE if anyone has suggestions, I would be very grateful.

Thanks,

Stephen

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had the tank set up for 48 hours before I put the piranha in. The tank is located in my office, it is not near a window at all. Could the lights in my office (ceiling lights) cause the algae groth in the tank?

· Premium Member
2,283 Posts
Something smells here, and it is NOT the algae !!!

I think you are confusing algae and amonia, or something. Do you SEE algae? Is it green? brown? If your water smells, and is foaming, it sounds like you are in the middle of a pretty good tank cycle. What you're smelling is the buildup of organics that the bacteria base in your filter can not handle. I suggest you do a little research on cycling a tank.

Am I all wet here?????

g

PS. Do an amonia/nitrite test.

· Registered
1,900 Posts
i agree wiht george did u cycle your tank properly? when i was inthe cycle process i had foam at the top of my tank. check your parameters. it is not algea i think that your tank is still cycling. i would either get some ammio lock or get some bio spira.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the adviced guys. I do not see green nor brown algae. It must be the amonia then. I will check the levels of the Amonia/Nitrite in my tank and fix them. One more thing, like George had mentioned about my filter is there a better filtering system out there that handles the build-up of organics bacteria? Thanks again!!!

· I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
14,634 Posts
You might want to break down the tank and do a full cleaning (if you do not have anything occupying it). Foaming can be the cause of an uncleaned tank, little or bad filteration, rottening substance, or plain bad water quality. You never mentioned that you have plants, but FOAMY substances. Certain lights can cause algea bloom, but not at the rate you've mentioned. Also smell and actually seeing algea are 2 different problems.

· Registered
192 Posts
If the tank is very new the silicon may not have been completely cured. Also there could have been a bacteria growing on the inside of the glass that bloomed once you added water. These are long shots but possible

· Registered
480 Posts
galland said:
If the tank is very new the silicon may not have been completely cured. Also there could have been a bacteria growing on the inside of the glass that bloomed once you added water. These are long shots but possible
[snapback]868953[/snapback]​
I doubt that is the reason why it smells. As George and others have said, I also believe the smell is a result of the tank not being cycled properly before introducing fish.

If the tank was only set up 48 hours ago, the smell is the likely result of ammonia and other waste from the fish that is failing to be broken down due to a lack of established bacteria in your filters. I suggest you get some ammo-lock and bio-spira immediately and read about how to properly cyle your tank.

· Registered
192 Posts
acidWarp said:
I doubt that is the reason why it smells. As George and others have said, I also believe the smell is a result of the tank not being cycled properly before introducing fish.

If the tank was only set up 48 hours ago, the smell is the likely result of ammonia and other waste from the fish that is failing to be broken down due to a lack of established bacteria in your filters. I suggest you get some ammo-lock and bio-spira immediately and read about how to properly cyle your tank.
[snapback]868982[/snapback]​
Very true. I didn't realize the tank had fish in it yet.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all of your help. I tested the water today and this is the results:

Ammonia 2.0
Nitrite 0
pH 7.6
Nitrate 5.0

The smell is less today than yesterday and I have done some things that everyone had suggested. I really appreciate everyones help. Can anyone help me out with the Ammonia and of course the High Nitrate counts? I know the Nitrate problem is from a build-up of fish waste and organic compounds. I'm I right about that one?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.