Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone ever seen an albino p of any species? do they exist? if anyone has a pic, please post.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
This question has been asked before but no one has ever seen an albino P. Albino P problably get cannibalize by the rest of the shoal as they would be seen as sick or weak.

Survival of the fittest.

Hater

·
Allergic to stupid sh*t!!!
4,364 Posts
This question has been asked before but no one has ever seen an albino P. Albino P problably get cannibalize by the rest of the shoal as they would be seen as sick or weak.

Survival of the fittest.

Hater
Yes, I agree with Hater, But there has been cases of what looks like albinoism. Let me try and find you the link. Here it is.

http://www.opefe.com/nattereri.html

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Survival of the fittest.

Hater
Yes, I agree with Hater, But there has been cases of what looks like albinoism. Let me try and find yo uthe link. Here it is.

http://www.opefe.com/nattereri.html
tks leisure, not to get off the topic but a ternetzi is the same thing as a natt??

·
Allergic to stupid sh*t!!!
4,364 Posts
ternetzis are the yellow belly variant of Natts...
Or You can have the green variant of the ternetzi if they come from Uruguay
I have 1 and they grow FAST!!!

·
OPEFE
10,249 Posts
Ps Albinism...

"A hobbyist several years ago purchased a purported albino piranha (see images above). This fish while interesting does not appear to have the recessive gene that creates albinism in species. Nor does it exhibit the pink eye associated with such albinism. It could be called a "golden piranha" based on its color alone. The fish is likely a geographic variation, however, sometimes parasites can cause similar problems, but the fish looks in good health. The fish has plenty of red pigments mixed in with the yellow. This could later become redder if the fish becomes ready to reproduce. It was raised in dim light which would help explain part of the reason it lacks the intense coloration of the body. The fish was originally purchased from a piranha breeder in Ohio who has been producing this color (belly) variety for a number of years. The juvenile fish was then sold to another person (who kept the fish in dim light) which eventually made its way to the Pira-News2000 reader. The original fish breeder and I are old friends and I was fortunate to receive a few of these fish as gifts for OPEFE. Fink was also provided some samples and he was surprised the fish maintained its bright yellow belly color after being bred for so many years in the aquarium. Albino piranhas may or may not exist in nature. In my 40 years of examining piranha I have never seen one. Nor has Dr. William L. Fink, though he did intimate the possibility of its existence in nature. As discussed below, such critters are normally eaten by the clan as inferior.
Piranhas raised in little to no light suffer from nutritional losses the sun (or artificial light) provides. The chromatophores (stellate cells) which produce color require certain vitamins which natural sunlight provides. This pigment and refractive granules are important and if they do not get light then certain things can happen to the pituitary gland which controls the hormone (called intermedin)."*
*From OPEFE: http://www.opefe.com/nattereri.html

·
OPEFE
10,249 Posts

·
OPEFE
10,249 Posts
Are you sure its not washedout color?
According to Ivan (a venezuelan fish exporter) and George Fear (from SharkAquarium), the guys that catched this fish, it is just like you see it in the pic
!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts