Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Breaki'n all day...
4,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just put some plants in my tank the other day.
i have an airpump with an airstone in my tank for oxygen but now that i have some plants is having the airpump on bad?
i heard that it takes out the C02 produced by the plants and that the P's don't need the airpump anymore after you add plants.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Seems like this question was just addressed, but... The air pump will affect the amount of CO2 avaliable in the water. CO2 is harder to keep "disolved" in the water coloum than O2 is. The more suface ripples occuring, the more gas exchange goes on (aka more CO2 leaves, more O2 enters).

And... Air pumps= ripples.

·
Breaki'n all day...
4,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so...from what i understand : lots of plants=no need for an airpump whatsoever?

what if i only have afew plants? still don't turn on the airpump?

and why is C02 good for the fish and for the tank?

Thanks
(please bare with me gents, i am new to plants)

·
Registered
622 Posts
With lots of plants you wouldn't need it. With only a few, it's really up to you. Try without it, see how the fish act. If they're gasping then crank it back up.

CO2 is good for plants. They use the carbon for growth. The more CO2 in the tank, the more the plants will grow and the more O2 they will produce.

·
Breaki'n all day...
4,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok that makes sense...but where does the C02 come from?

·
Registered
186 Posts
c02 comes from your fish or decomposing organics, but for best growth many plant growers inject c02 into their water. usually they use a c02 tank or a yeast reactor, there are also liquid co2 products but i have never tried them, as it seems expensive when yeast reactor is so cheap.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts