Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all i have a 125g with a fx5 filter. i have the out hose above the water so it shoots lots of air bubbles into the water. is this enough air for the fish? should i also get a powerhead? do most of you use powerheads?
how much air do they need? i have 4 5" caribes. thanks, karl

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
You don't have to make the return on the FX5 above the water level...Mine is just under the surface with the heads pointed up causing lots of surface aggitation...A powerhead is not a must but they are nice...Really to supply enough air for your fish the aggitation from the FX5 should be plenty.

·
AQHU RULES
4,609 Posts
the air that is shooted in the water doesnt make the oxygen in the tank but the movemtent to air flowing through the ater creatse surface aggitation hence provides better diffusion.................

i have a 4ft tank and i have 2 power heads, and one of them gets turned of at night as it is too noisy, one blows air in and the other is very close to the surface making aggitation during the night to keep the oxygen diffusion going..................

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Powerheads can (among others):

1. provide a current for your fish to swim in for their exercise (be sure to add "dead spots" for them to rest in)

2. spread the heater's heat around the tank thru water circulation

3. helps in saturating your water with oxygen via the venturi tube (especially helpful in case things go wrong and oxygen levels are dangerously compromised *knock on wood*)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.