Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Hey guys, I have 3 RBP's in a 55 g. I got the 2 bigger ones about a week ago and they are finally getting used to the new environment. However, the biggest one seems to be picking on the smallest one. He hasnt bitten him yet, only swims really fast at him, and sometimes head-butts him in the side. I know it sounds funny but thats the only way I can think of to describe it. I dont think it's territorial, because all 3 P's seem to hang around the same place in the tank. Is this normal behavior, or something I should be worried about? What can I do to stop this? Oh, by the way I keep them well fed, and I had a large goldfish in there to balance out the aggression, but they never touched the goldfish.

·
5 TIME CHAMPS
19,142 Posts
grosse gurke said:
Sounds pretty norman to me. Sounds like the dominant piranha is just introducing himself.
what he said.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Yep,that sounds normal to me.My fish do pretty much the same thing.Never any real problems,just the occasional fin nip.
I wouldn't worry about it.
Later Eric

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
once a pecking order is established it will generally reduce some of the aggression, it is just trying to prove who is boss right now, its part of their instincts

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
grosse gurke said:
Sounds pretty norman to me. Sounds like the dominant piranha is just introducing himself.
Who's norman???

My reds also do this: it's common competitive behaviour, establishing a hierarchy and defending or creating territories. I guess you can be happy all they do is chasing or headbutting, because it could be much worse...

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys... yeah it seems to have calmed down a bit, and the little guy is hangin out on the other side of the tank.

·
"The Dancing Banana Man"
7,760 Posts
realy put it this way please.

A fish tank is like a jail house, te big bubby gota poke around to asy he is the new big gay man

·
OPEFE
10,249 Posts
I can't recomend to put them together if the tank is not really big or have enough hidding places since they are "anthropofagus" and they will kill each other!

Once they eat one of them their instinct get alive and you could loss any other as did happened to me in the past. So, be carefull cause their are quite agressive if they feel there is not enough room for them!

THOUGH, if they are truely hungry they will strip to bare bones the weak one as soon as they can!

They don't play, they are not friendly anyway, they can be mercyless and really cruel, they simply eat almost anythig if hungry and will do anything to survive! It's their nature.

...i think Caribe is the most beautifull and aggresive when hunting in group, i live in Venezuela and i have seen what they can do to any creature (even another Caribe) if they are TRUELY HUNGRY...they will strip ANY creature to bare bones in seconds!, THOUGH, it can be a dangerous pet or toy!!!.

My Caribe eat at least 2 fish daily and it takes less than 30 seconds to do that!

He killed one of his brothers after being together for almost a year...now i have my piranhas in different tanks.

And remember...Caribe (Notatus), Red Belly (Nattereri) and Piraya ARE THE ONLY TRUE PIRANHAS!

The others are mean, but is not the same!!!

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Im not too worried about them killing each other. They have plenty of places to hide, and right now more than enough room. And they arent hungry enough to eat each other, Im keeping them well fed.

Bobme.... are you calling my fish gay? lol

·
"The Dancing Banana Man"
7,760 Posts
Kolbenschlag said:
Im not too worried about them killing each other. They have plenty of places to hide, and right now more than enough room. And they arent hungry enough to eat each other, Im keeping them well fed.

Bobme.... are you calling my fish gay? lol
i wasnt tryint to

·
Registered
829 Posts
Kolbenschlag said:
...He hasnt bitten him yet, only swims really fast at him, and sometimes head-butts him in the side. I know it sounds funny but thats the only way I can think of to describe it....
yea that's normal, my p's do that too

don't you guys watch simpsons?

[Stampy butts another elephant]
Marge: Gosh, I thought he'd be happier in his true habitat.
Warden: Oh, I think he is.
Marge: Then why is he attacking all those other elephants?
Warden: Well, animals are not like people, Mrs. Simpson. Some of them
act badly because they've had a hard life, or have been
mistreated...but, like people, some of them are just jerks.
Stop that, Mr. Simpson.
[Homer butts the Warden repeatedly]

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
Nethius said:
Stop that, Mr. Simpson.

·
"The Dancing Banana Man"
7,760 Posts
Nethius said:
Stop that, Mr. Simpson.
ba, haha

1 - 17 of 17 Posts