Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Has anyone here sucessfully addressed an aggression issue by adding fish to the mix to diffuse the problem?

I have 3 RBP in a 90 gallon tank; one fish is about 6-7 inches long and he tirelessly harasses the other two slightly smaller guys. I have a divider in there now to keep him separate, and I try to acclimate them once in a while, but he just chases and nips the others relentlessly. He's just a bastard, he even chases ME when I walk by.

Dithers don't work (giant danios, zebras are all dead in a matter of hours).
Dropping the temp doesn't work.
Two powerheads and two xp3's swirling things around.
They're well fed a couple times a day if they're hungry.
Nitrites 0, Nitrates 20, KH & GH in the moderate range, pH around 7.

I just hate the divider. It looks like hell, and instead of one 90 gal, I essentially have two 45 gals.

Has adding a couple more fish (caribe, maybe?) EVER worked for anyone in a similar situation, or does this usually end up with dead piranha?

Paul

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
hey man its hard to say if adding will change enything. you have alittle room to maybe add 2 more p's in the tank id say give it a try. or take out the 2 smaller ones and add 1 more red and 2 caribe. see how that goes the caribe will be able to handle the big stronge red :nod:

·
Registered
410 Posts
Has anyone here sucessfully addressed an aggression issue by adding fish to the mix to diffuse the problem?

I have 3 RBP in a 90 gallon tank; one fish is about 6-7 inches long and he tirelessly harasses the other two slightly smaller guys. I have a divider in there now to keep him separate, and I try to acclimate them once in a while, but he just chases and nips the others relentlessly. He's just a bastard, he even chases ME when I walk by.

Dither's don't work (giant danios, zebras are all dead in a matter of hours).
Dropping the temp doesn't work.
Two powerheads and two xp3's swirling things around.
They're well fed a couple times a day if they're hungry.
Nitrites 0, Nitrates 20, KH & GH in the moderate range, pH around 7.

I just hate the divider. It looks like hell, and instead of one 90 gal, I essentially have two 45 gals.

Has adding a couple more fish (caribe, maybe?) EVER worked for anyone in a similar situation, or does this usually end up with dead piranha?

Paul
He is probbaly too aggressive and dominent. if I were you I would give him his own tank and spoil the sh*t out of him.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
He'd be great by himself...he even tries to fight thru the divider (plastic canvas). They do the huddle up thing if I stand there, fiddle with powerheads or whatever, but once I move away he starts his crap again. Aggressive piranha are cool, but this guy's just nuts in an endearing sort of way...

Paul

[/quote]

He is probbaly too aggressive and dominent. if I were you I would give him his own tank and spoil the sh*t out of him.
[/quote]

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
try takin him out, put him in a bucket for a while, re-arrange all the decor (with the 2 other fish still in the tank), water change and so on, drop the temp a couple degree's and try that out, other then that bud if that doesnt work slap him in his own tank

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
try takin him out, put him in a bucket for a while, re-arrange all the decor (with the 2 other fish still in the tank), water change and so on, drop the temp a couple degree's and try that out, other then that bud if that doesnt work slap him in his own tank
[/quote]

i know its worked for a couple people...but make sure the one thats pissin the others off is the one to be taken out...slap him around in the bucket tooo LOL

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How long should he be in his own apartment for? I have spare HOB filters, so he could chill in a bucket for a while...

Paul

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
You could do what iceman suggest or just get a bigger red and i'm sure the bigger red will put that ggresive one in its place.

Before you add the new pygo, remove all of them from the tank and re-arrange your deco. The add all of the fishes in at the same time.

Hater

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah. I'd love to find a caribe close by, otherwise I might have to see what New England Reptile has for natts...the wife will be delighted.

Paul

You could do what iceman suggest or just get a bigger red and i'm sure the bigger red will put that ggresive one in its place.

Before you add the new pygo, remove all of them from the tank and re-arrange your deco. The add all of the fishes in at the same time.

Hater

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah, that's a plan I'm considering. I think it migh thelp diffuse the violence a little, He's going to be one worn-out bully if he's got FOUR other fish to chase. I'll add some more hiding spots too, really change things up.

paul

why you thinkin that?? you got a couple other ones your picking up?? or a couple others that are mean??...just toss him in while your doing your things, id say theres a good chance it could resolve it for a while

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
Yeah, that's a plan I'm considering. I think it migh thelp diffuse the violence a little, He's going to be one worn-out bully if he's got FOUR other fish to chase. I'll add some more hiding spots too, really change things up.

paul
make sure you have lots of hiding spots for them to help out with fighting so the other fish can flee if it happens, i hope this all helps out man, keep us posted

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah, I plan on hooking up with another P-Fury member Sat night to scoop up some 6" RBP's, so there will be a period of acclimation for all fishes involved. I hope to throw everyone off enough where new territories need to be established and all that business.
New piranha for New Year, how nice is that?

Paul

[/quote]

make sure you have lots of hiding spots for them to help out with fighting so the other fish can flee if it happens, i hope this all helps out man, keep us posted
[/quote]

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.