Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay first off bad me for letting this happen but now i have ?'s

my 3 yr old daughter has a 20 gallon tank that contained a breeding pair of cichlids well i got rid of the parents and there were only a few fry swimming around the tank well i stopped caring for it completly algae grew so bad u could not see into the tank and the water looked like a cesspool well after this tank sitting like this for the longest time with me barely even ever batting an eye at it the other day i noticed that behind the algae covered glass the water was the clearest i have ever seen what is the deal with that and also i was sure the fry would ahve been dead turns out they have both grown some and are doing fine now i am sure the nitrates in this tank would ahve surely stunted teh growth of these fish and to be honest convict fry aren't much more than fancy feeders so please ont flame on me about this but i am seriously curious as to what happened with the water for it to have gone to this super clear state

·
3,901 Posts
My guess is you took the central bio-load out ( the parents ) and left a few fry in a 20 gallon tank, which caused filter bacteria to die off and it cloud the water. Then algae grew and feed off nitrites from the dead bacteria leading to clear water.

Previewed, looks like elTwitcho beat me to the punch, I'll still post anyway. ;p

1 - 4 of 4 Posts