Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have one 8" red in a 29gal tank and when I approach the tank to feed him, he goes completely ballistic. It seems he can't wait for me to drop a feeder, chicken, or shrimp in the tank. I really am afraid he may lunge up one day and mistaken my hand for food. This behavior reminds me of oscars and red devils i've had in the past. All I know is that i'm very cautious when feeding him. Does anyone else have this problem?

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Mine don't act this way at all...it may be because I have them in a large shoal. Mine tend to wait till its on its way down or completely down till they attack. Always keep an eye on your guy is all I can say.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Oh yeah, I would get a larger tank myself for him. I would think it rather cramped in that tank even if it is only 1 fish. I prefer tanks at least 4" in length for anything over 6 inches. This is just my opinion though.

·
Registered
27,223 Posts
I dont think he will jump out and grab your hand. Piranhas are generally afraid of humans unless they feel trapped or cornered....so keep an eye out....there is nothing wrong with being cautious though. :smile:

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
You could try cutting a small hole in your lid so you can drop food in without having to lift the lid. That is what I have done but my REd's aren't mean like yours. They are very skittish so I cut the hole so I dont have to lift the lid which scares them.

·
Registered
14,961 Posts
All I know is that i'm very cautious when feeding him. Does anyone else have this problem?
Not unusual. Your fish has associated you with feeding time. Good example of conditioned response and common for a single pirana, though not always seen by hobbyists. Generally happens if you under feed your fish or feed at approximately the same time everyday.

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
Mine come up to the surface when I'm feeding them also: like Frank said, it's a conditioned response. I don't think you have to worry about it as long as you drop the food in from at least a couple of inches above the surface. I don't trust my reds either when they are hungry, but nothing happened so far *knock on wood*...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts