Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have got a power head in my tank with a airline going to it which creates alot of bubbles which i persume creates oxygen. But the wife is moaning about the noise of it in the evenings.
If i take the airline out of the tank do i have to replace it with an air pump or will there be enough oxygen in the tank for my 4 rbp's to live with out worry. Please help the wife is nagging me to sort it.

· Registered
639 Posts
You don't need the airline for your powerhead if you're only using it for a current. As far as oxygenating your tank, what kind of filter do you have?

If it's a hang-on type, just make sure your tank's water level is low enough for the water return on the filter to aggitate the water's surface (if that makes sense).

If you have a filter with a spray bar, just position the spray bar in an upward direction so it creates some surface aggitation.

Either way, you should be able to create oxygen with your filter alone, by just positioning it to create surface aggitation, which will create oxygen. That way you can simply use your powerhead to simulate a current for your fish, and not have to worry about the noise that the airline creates.

· Registered
639 Posts
piranhaqueen said:
so, I can put my powerhead totally under water w/o that little air intake above the surface?
[snapback]877886[/snapback]​
Correct... You will get the same current out of your powerhead, just without the air bubble mixture. It's also completely silent without the airline, which is a huge plus!

· Registered
480 Posts
The airline doesnt help oxygenation all that much, its about the surface current and turbulence. As long as your water isnt dead still, you should be ok.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.