Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after i syphon out water from my 90g tank the easiest way to add new water is to use a garden hose that is hooked up to my faucet, but then i started thinking about how the vinyl on the inside of hoses comes off (why u arent suppose to drink from a hose) and i thought this could be harmful to my fish.

does anyone else add water to their tank using this method? and is it okay for piranha to add water doing it this way? basicilly i am wondering if the vinyl that comes off when water is runnung through the hose will harm my piranha or any other fish for that matter.

there are other hoses that are okay to drink from that are mainly used to fill water tanks in mobile homes so your water is pure...would a hose like that be better to use or will a garden hose be okay?

thanks

·
Registered
257 Posts
I use a garden hose to drain and fill my tanks. I have never had a problem with my P's or any other fish. I seriously doubt that you could have pieces of the hose end up in your tank unless there is a VERY obvious crack or hole in the hose. Even if this could happen without you knowing it, I doubt it would have any effect on your fish. Unless a fish decided that the vinyl was a good meal. Good thing to cautious man, but you are definitely ok with this.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
i do it this way also. its faster and easier instead of the bucket method. i haven't had any problems yet, but ive only done this for about 2 months now.

piecs of the hose shuoldn't come off unless its really old, laid in the sun, started to crack, etc...

if you store it properly you shouldn't have any problems, im assuming.

·
Registered
431 Posts
you're not supposed to drink out of a water hose? I guess all those hot summer days of playing basketball have come back to haunt me!!!!

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
when a house sits on in the sun and such with the water in it the vinyl will slowly come off and thats why they say u shoudl drink from it because of the small pieces of vinyl u could be drinking.

i will buy a new house and only use it for my aquariums...that will me much faster than trying to use a bucket and emtying 6 times.

thanks for the input guys

·
Dodge City
10,070 Posts
Just a note about using hoses to fill.
Don't get distracted and forget the hose.lol
Yeah , I forgot the hose running once or twice.
Pete

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
Although it gets unrealistic to be able to add declorinated water into bigger tanks, it should really be done and makes a difference. You are essential killing all the BB in your tank when adding chlorinated water. If you must use a hose i would suggest shutting the filters off adding heavy aeration and adding the dechlorinator before adding the water.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
winkyee said:
Just a note about using hoses to fill.
Don't get distracted and forget the hose.lol
Yeah , I forgot the hose running once or twice.
Pete
haha!

i did that before when syphoning out of my tank into a bucket...needless to say when i remembered i ran back upstairs to find my bucket over-flowing...not good for the carpet

·
Registered
356 Posts
I did it the other way. I forgot I was Syphoing. I did all my gravel and I left the syphon in my tank to get a little more water out, oooops I fergot about it. Come running back in with about 5 inches of water left in my tank. Also, does the water from the hose drop the water temp alot ? I have been worried about that so I just take trips with a bucket.

·
Registered
257 Posts
You do need to somewhat rich to keep buying the python kit. I bought a water bed kit for $5 and a cheapy garden hose for $7 from walmart. They work just the same as the stupid python kit. That thing is a rip off.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts