Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Dodge City
10,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always thoroughly dissolved the salt in a pail with some hot water before adding my aquariums. adding colder water to the pail afterward adjusting to tank temp then pouring it in the tank very slowly letting it mix.
I believe that's the correct manner.
I'm afraid that when someone new is told to add salt , they might just spoon it into the tank.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I normally add 1 tablespoon per 10 gallons for wound healing and 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons for parisite or bacteria control.As winkyee stated be sure to try to get it disovled in a cup or bucket before entering it to the tank and I will normally add it over a peroid of time,like an hour or better.

·
Registered
500 Posts
no problem,I would also clean the gravel really well and clean out your filters but not at the same time so you do not disturb trhe positive bacteria build up to much.I would clean the gravel really good today and clean out your filters next weekend.

·
Registered
500 Posts
winkyee said:
I believe your fish could get burned by dumping the salt in un-dissolved.
yep..

I try to disovle it the best I can before I add any and also try to add it as slow as I can,over a time period of an hour or so.Kinda cool when I add to my Ray tanks its like it gives them a buzz they get real active and start swimming all over the place.

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Olson said:
I normally add 1 tablespoon per 10 gallons for wound healing and 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons for parisite or bacteria control.As winkyee stated be sure to try to get it disovled in a cup or bucket before entering it to the tank and I will normally add it over a peroid of time,like an hour or better.

I add salt when i do a water change, so i just put the salt at the bottom of a big bucket empty and then fill it with the water that will go into the tank, (same temp, or slightly higher)

·
Registered
347 Posts
I do it because I read in a scientific report that it is a mineral that is needed for FW fishes' health. You should have 1.000 sg... but I don't check, I just add it slowly so the fish gets used to it. It is a guess-a-mation every water change.

I have 2 feeder goldfish living 3 years in a salt water tank.
That is amazing to me.

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
Glowin_Navi said:
do you guys add salt as regular maintenance? other than getting rid of skin diseases and stuff when they occur, why do you add it?
I don't use it, and never used it before, because my fish have never been sick...
I don't like messing with the water when all is fine, because I don't wan't to risk my fish (even though salt is widely used): it can always have negative side-effects....

·
5 TIME CHAMPS
19,142 Posts
Olson said:
:smile:

·
Me except the eye color
6,210 Posts
crap, ive been just spooning in the salt in to my tank without dissolving it. everything seems fine. i also heard that a constant salt use is not good. bacteria will eventually grow immunity to salt. then again this is what i heard

·
Me except the eye color
6,210 Posts
nopes dont have anymore, goto safeway and get rocksalt. you know the ones you need to make ice cream. they are the same as aquarium salt. =) i was stupid one day and went to petco and saw a good looking girl and i was talking to her and i aciddentally bought salt. =/

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.