Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
"Nitro"
Joined
·
5,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a tank with x6 red belly p's and would like to add a tern and caribe. the current red bellys are from 7" to 9.5". whats the smallest fish I could add without problems.
 

·
5 TIME CHAMPS
Joined
·
19,142 Posts
nitrofish said:
i have a tank with x6 red belly p's and would like to add a tern and caribe. the current red bellys are from 7" to 9.5". whats the smallest fish I could add without problems.
how big is your tank?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,026 Posts
I had 5 3-5 in rbps in my 75 and added a 1 inch p in the over a week ago and all is well. Keep them well fed and I have had no problems.
 

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
Joined
·
18,487 Posts
Considering you have reds, adding a 5" Cariba would be the smallest I would put in with your reds considering they're can handle their own even at such a small size. The Tern I would have to say nothing smaller than 6".
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,408 Posts
I'd say get a 7" Caribe or Tern.....whatever you choose. The 2" differrence between the Reds and the other Pygo won't be too bad of a size difference.
 

·
"Nitro"
Joined
·
5,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok thats good to know, all these fish are in my 125 gallon, I have 6 reds and just want to add a little varity. now I know 8 in a 125 may be a bit much, but Im on top of my water changes, twice a week.

I would just get one the same size as all the rest, but have you seen the prices on those, yikes. if I can get one slightly smaller I can save $200 on just the ternenzi and close to $300 on the caribe.
 

·
5 TIME CHAMPS
Joined
·
19,142 Posts
nitrofish said:
ok thats good to know, all these fish are in my 125 gallon, I have 6 reds and just want to add a little varity. now I know 8 in a 125 may be a bit much, but Im on top of my water changes, twice a week.

I would just get one the same size as all the rest, but have you seen the prices on those, yikes. if I can get one slightly smaller I can save $200 on just the ternenzi and close to $300 on the caribe.
imo 8 would fine for a 125
 

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
Joined
·
18,487 Posts
piranha 13 said:
Yea I don't think 8 is too overstocked in a 125...Im putting 9 in mine when I get it
Yeah.. I got 3 huge RBs, five 8" Caribas and a HUGE one comming up
 

·
Bean Power!
Joined
·
8,911 Posts
A similiar situation here.

I brought home eight 3 inch super reds and divided them off in my 125g from my seven 4-6 inch caribe. Over night somebody bowled over the divider allowing the groups to mingle.

To my somewhat surprise they are all doing just fine (for now).
I think the key may be acclimating them slowly to each other first, along with a simultaneous feeding wich may help the situation.

During the first night, while divided, they all got to be familiar with each others presents, so there was no element of surprise (wich could lead to attack).
 

·
5 TIME CHAMPS
Joined
·
19,142 Posts
Serrapygo said:
A similiar situation here.

I brought home eight 3 inch super reds and divided them off in my 125g from my seven 4-6 inch caribe. Over night somebody bowled over the divider allowing the groups to mingle.

To my somewhat surprise they are all doing just fine (for now).
I think the key may be acclimating them slowly to each other first, along with a simultaneous feeding wich may help the situation.

During the first night, while divided, they all got to be familiar with each others presents, so there was no element of surprise (wich could lead to attack).
geez... what were using jeff cardboard divider.....


glad they all survived the night...
 

·
Bean Power!
Joined
·
8,911 Posts
Jeff and his card board eh?
In this case I used a plexiglass divider jerryrigged for the night.
 

·
Captain Britannia
Joined
·
4,817 Posts
i would go with only a few inches difference but i did once add to 3'' reds with some 7'' reds and had no problems but i had no choice.
dixon
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22,692 Posts
I added 5 natts smaller than an inch to the sole surviver (about 3,5-4" back then) of my first batch after I got my current 80g tank. This was in june/july 2002, and all (now measuring 5,5-7,5") are still alive and kicking as we speak...
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top