Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a 50 pound bag of childrens play sand at Home Depot as suggessted by a number of members because it is so cheap and looks nice for 5 bucks. I am wondering if I have to remove the water from the tank before I add the sand in ? I plan on leaving the filter off for a few hours to let the sand settle before I turn it back on. Please let me know because I want to do this tonight. Thanks.

·
Got Rice?!?
2,648 Posts
It is not necesary to remove the water from you tank. Just make sure that you RINSE THE SAND VERY VERY VERY GOOD. The sand is very dusty and could cloud up your water otherwise.

~Dj

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
my tank looks like swamp water.......not cool. How long will it take for the water to settle. I may just run my AC 300 on it till it clears up .....will this break the filter ? thanks....

·
Registered
384 Posts
One way to help is to do a water change. As much as you can. Then if you leave on your filter, but just clean it out every couple of hours, you should be just fine. It'll take a couple of days though.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Depends on the sand, but should clear up significantly by morning. Also, clean your filter media a lot, and be sure to turn of the filter off so all the silt doesnt blow back into your tank while changing out. The filter may stop working, but its easy to clean out (most that I know of anyway). And, any that settles back down will eventually work itself below the coarser grains, so dont worry about that.

As far as water changes, I'd do one right away (not a big deal, just the way I'd do it) of most of the water, then a few more, but only 30-40% or so. Otherwise, you will just stir it all up again. If, however, you used no filtration, and no water changes it would settle to the bottom and clear up on its own, and the finer stuff will always end up under the coarser stuff, so it wont reappear down the road.....unless you plan on stirring it with a spoon

1 - 6 of 6 Posts