Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Rodgers' Aquatics
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does Anyone Know Anything Special About Actinic Bulbs For Freshwater Tanks. I Know They Are Used In Saltwater Tanks For Nightlights Or Something To That Affect. Anyway I Have One In My 75 Gallon Tank That Houses 2 Wolf Fish So That I Can Watch Them At Night. Just Throw Me Some Feedback If You Know Anything About Them!

I Have A Picture Of It In My Tank Here

http://home.neb.rr.com/piranha/brandon.htm

· Registered
480 Posts
How come some of the pic's on your site are grabbed from Riverwonders (Also the worst seller of P's online)?

As far as actinics, I believe they are of no use to freshwater tanks, but if you like them, they cant hurt.

· Registered
3,063 Posts
i think he was just using them for references. but a 42 hex will not do for an elong, not by a long shot, you need at least a 75 long, preferably a standard 90 or bigger. I kept mine in a 135. as for the lights, i know nothing about them, also try posting this in the tank and equipment forum

· Registered
480 Posts
rbp 4 135 said:
i think he was just using them for references. but a 42 hex will not do for an elong, not by a long shot, you need at least a 75 long, preferably a standard 90 or bigger. I kept mine in a 135. as for the lights, i know nothing about them, also try posting this in the tank and equipment forum

[snapback]869156[/snapback]​
I know, but he had also lifted some other info. from sites for his personal page without attributing the source. It's in a thread in the general section. Anyways, I'll stop hijacking this.

· Truffle shuffle!!!!!!!
17,210 Posts
rbp 4 135 said:

i just read that too

This Is My 42 Gallon Hexagon Aquarium That Will Soon Be Home To An Elongatus Piranha

· Registered
669 Posts
Actinint bulbs are a waste. They don't offer your tank the light that the plant's use for photosynthesis. They do however give algae light they can use to make food. I would advise against using Reef Bulbs in a salt water tank. Use a 6700k Bulb. If you want a little more blue tint jump up too a 10000k Bulb. At least the 10k bulb gives the plants beneficial light as well.

· Registered
480 Posts
KrazyCrusader said:
Actinint bulbs are a waste. They don't offer your tank the light that the plant's use for photosynthesis. They do however give algae light they can use to make food. I would advise against using Reef Bulbs in a salt water tank. Use a 6700k Bulb. If you want a little more blue tint jump up too a 10000k Bulb. At least the 10k bulb gives the plants beneficial light as well.
[snapback]869347[/snapback]​
How much light does a 10,000K actually provide that is useful to plants? I thought they werent of much use at all, or at least thats what I had read...

· Registered
1,403 Posts
acidWarp said:
How come some of the pic's on your site are grabbed from Riverwonders (Also the worst seller of P's online)?

As far as actinics, I believe they are of no use to freshwater tanks, but if you like them, they cant hurt.
[snapback]869145[/snapback]​
rbp 4 135 said:

hmmm...i don't know if you are gonna find a lot of riverwonders fans on here dude .....they PHUC'ED my order
will only buy from sponsers now...

as far as a ELONG IN A 42G HEX THAT IS CRUEL!!! HOW ABOUT I SHOVE U IN A CLOSET FOR LIFE................................

oh and keep us posted on how your 5 black p's are doing living together....... don't feel bad dude, RIVER-BLUNDERS told me they would live together too.....

if you have been into p's for a year you are not very educated, i suggest you read a book or two.....

as far as the topic goes can't help ya.....
my advice save your money....

· Danse Macabre!
9,834 Posts
Dr Exum said:
hmmm...i don't know if you are gonna find a lot of riverwonders fans on here dude .....they PHUC'ED my order
will only buy from sponsers now...

as far as a ELONG IN A 42G HEX THAT IS CRUEL!!! HOW ABOUT I SHOVE U IN A CLOSET FOR LIFE................................

oh and keep us posted on how your 5 black p's are doing living together....... don't feel bad dude, RIVER-BLUNDERS told me they would live together too.....

if you have been into p's for a year you are not very educated, i suggest you read a book or two.....

as far as the topic goes can't help ya.....
my advice save your money....
[snapback]870270[/snapback]​
Don't be a jerk, he was asking a simple question, not wether or not you thought he was educated

The 42 gallon hex as people mentioned will not do for an elong, but since that isn't at all what the thread was about, I'll leave it at that. Alot of the people I know who've used actinics in their tank have ended up having a strong brown algae bloom to go along with it. To me it doesn't sound like a very effective lighting system and I'd probably stay away from it. As for their use for "moonlight" I don't think that's what actinics are meant to be used for, I believe they mimic the color of natural sunlight through ocean water for corals, and they're too bright to pass for "moonlight" so you could watch your fish at night.

· Registered
1,403 Posts
i would look at it as being honest......... which i am.. i did not know i had to be p.c. ................. i'll take honesty over candy coated b.s. any day...and on that have a nice one

· Registered
1,403 Posts
please fill me in on how to properly adress someone whom has a lack of education.

would one of these have been more appropriate?

1. RETARD
2. DIM
3. THICK
4. DENSE
5. SLOW
6. DUMBASS

oh, by the way thanx for the compliment........

i pride myself on being an ASSHOLE
LYCOS 101 STUDENT

· Danse Macabre!
9,834 Posts
Dr Exum said:
please fill me in on how to properly adress someone whom has a lack of education.

would one of these have been more appropriate?

1. RETARD
2. DIM
3. THICK
4. DENSE
5. SLOW
6. DUMBASS
oh, by the way thanx for the compliment........

i pride myself on being an ASSHOLE
LYCOS 101 STUDENT
[snapback]871138[/snapback]​
I don't know, how do people generally address you? For someone who completely botched the capitalization of his post, couldn't spell the word address, and misused the word "whom" you're in a unique position to call someone uneducated aren't you? It's not my business to teach you how to act and talk like a big boy now that you're out of diapers, so get yourself a clue and stop being a disrespectful c*ck to people who are simply asking for advice.

Tell me something mr "expert level fish keeper", was anyone there to call you uneducated, or a retard, or dim, thick, dense, slow, dumbass or anything else when you were keeping two Oscars in a 55 gallon tank? You know, the 55 gallon tank that everyone who knows fish keeping knows is inadequate for just ONE oscar? How should I address you then, is "DUMBASS" appropriate?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.