Votes: 0 0.0%
  • glass

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
"Nitro"
5,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have found an incredable deal on a 40 gallon breader tank from glasscages.com In acrylic.its only $55 with $15 for shipping. or I can get a glass one for about the same price (about $70) localy.what should I do?

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,487 Posts
Acrylic man!!! Has more pros than cons to it. It'll be lighter and more in demand if you ever want to sell it. Also if you ever decide to change into saltwater the seals can never be eatten away by salt or through age.

·
Got Rice?!?
2,648 Posts
Although I have to admit that I am attracted by the lower price of glass tanks att times, I dont I would ever buy one. I prefer acrylic. My glass 10 leaked on me and that was enough. I cant afford to have a tank leak in my apartment.

~Dj

·
"Nitro"
5,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the only thing that scares me is the scratch problem with acrylics.

also does an acrylic need to be supported all across the bottom?

if anyones into acrylic tanks, you should definitly e-mail the people at glasscages.com they ship these unlike thier glass tanks.really good prices.

·
im offended and this is tastless,take it down &#33
4,277 Posts
i like acryllic !

·
"Nitro"
5,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
looks like its going to be acrylic, my girlfriend said she would buy me 3 of them
(40 gallon long) for my new stand I built as a birthday gift.

since im going with acrylic I need to add plywood to the frame to support the entire tank rather than just the edges.but thats no big deal

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,487 Posts
nitrofish said:
looks like its going to be acrylic, my girlfriend said she would buy me 3 of them
YOur one lucky doode for your gf to buy "THREE" tanks.

·
"Nitro"
5,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
RhomZilla said:
nitrofish said:
YOur one lucky doode for your gf to buy "THREE" tanks.
I bought her an expencive pda for her birthday so she probley feels guilty.

·
"Nitro"
5,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
im trying to get them to send me a picture, they are new to acrylic tanks and im nervous buying anything from them without picture. if it where a big company with a good reputation it would be different, but they sometimes have been known for sloppy work.plus they make it simular to a glass tank acording to them with a top that is very simular to a glass tank that would use versa tops,but that worrys me, thats not how I remember most acrylics looking like.if I can get a picture from them ill post is here.

·
Registered
211 Posts
hows it going nitro! you got you a keeper there (girl that is). She buys you aquarium products! What kind of PDA did you get her?

I voted for glass. yes acrylic has its advantages, but it scratches easily if your not careful cleaning it. To a neatfreak the scratches would drive me crazy.

Since your tanks are not very big, the weight doesnt bother me, it would be differnt if it was a 100+ gallon tank, then acrylic makes more sence. But it seems you already made the decision, so im with ya!

·
"Nitro"
5,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

iPAQ Pocket PC h5550
The powerful h5550 features integrated Bluetooth, 802.11b, SD slot, a 400 MHz XScale processor and Microsoft Pocket PC 2003 Premium.

im not sure about glasscages acrylic tanks, i have been talking to them and they basicly build them like they do with glass ones includeing the top and bottom plastic frames and im betting they silicone it too.forget that

·
im offended and this is tastless,take it down &#33
4,277 Posts
nitrofish said:

iPAQ Pocket PC h5550
The powerful h5550 features integrated Bluetooth, 802.11b, SD slot, a 400 MHz XScale processor and Microsoft Pocket PC 2003 Premium.

im not sure about glasscages acrylic tanks, i have been talking to them and they basicly build them like they do with glass ones includeing the top and bottom plastic frames and im betting they silicone it too.forget that
whats wrong with that the slicone and what not they build them the wrong way ?

·
"Nitro"
5,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ok they dont use silicone (which is good) because silicone should only bu used on glass tanks, acrilyc tanks need to be chemicaly bonded.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Nice PDA, i have a HP Ipaq 1940, blue tooth, etc. i cant rmemeber the other specs this early in the morning, lol. The thing i dont like aobut it is the hand writing recogniition and lack of accesories that come with it. Like the case is extra, the docking cradle is extra, the screen protector is extra, etc.

I use to have a philips nino and i loved the design of it all, i could just hit the record button without taking the pda out of the leather case, but cant do that with the ipaq. which is a pain if your driving down the highway and have to make a recording.

Let me know if she found a case that has allows you to record messages without taking the pda out of the case.

As for the acrylic i too have heard it should be chemical bonded and not just sealed with silicone. if you plan on keeping the tanks for a long time, i would just pay a little more and have it done right from the start.

·
"Nitro"
5,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ezlife said:
Nice PDA, i have a HP Ipaq 1940, blue tooth, etc. i cant rmemeber the other specs this early in the morning, lol. The thing i dont like aobut it is the hand writing recogniition and lack of accesories that come with it. Like the case is extra, the docking cradle is extra, the screen protector is extra, etc.

I use to have a philips nino and i loved the design of it all, i could just hit the record button without taking the pda out of the leather case, but cant do that with the ipaq. which is a pain if your driving down the highway and have to make a recording.

Let me know if she found a case that has allows you to record messages without taking the pda out of the case.

As for the acrylic i too have heard it should be chemical bonded and not just sealed with silicone. if you plan on keeping the tanks for a long time, i would just pay a little more and have it done right from the start.
the pda I got her had everything including a hard case that has a hinged front and is fully funtional while in the case.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.