Piranhas Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
14,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those interested in the genus Acestrorhynchus (freshwater barracudas) or their allies (such as Oligosarcus), I'm happy to throw whatever info for care or scientific info you may want for these fishes.

Please tell me any experiences you have as well. I am particularly interested in any observations of breeding behavior in these fishes.

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
firstly welcome to PFury

secondly I have absolutly no experiance with these fish, but I want to learn, so if you have pics, info, vids or anything please post it here

·
Registered
242 Posts
yes, most definitely. I would love to see vid and pics as well defining their feeding behaviour and what kind of temp they thrive in, ph, etc. etc.

welcome to pfury !

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
I just noticed this is in the non-piranha science forum - congratulations for being the first person to post in here

this forum is still not totally complete as we are working on someone to lead it as I am not scientific enough
but feel free to share any info you have in here

·
Registered
14,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the welcome and congrats on such a well put together site!

I have plenty of pics and even some feeding videos, I just need the means to post them up here. (the video isn't too large of a file).
For now, the info on Frank Magallanes' site would be great to look at to see what's out there. He gracefully allowed some of my pics of Acestrorhynchus falcatus and A. falcirostris to be posted. These are two of the most common and most commonly misnamed species. They are incredible fish.

Here is Frank's site: http://www.angelfire.com/biz/piranha038/ac...rorhynchus.html

I look forward to sharing and learning more!

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
you can send the videos to Xenon - I think he has loads of hosting space, and will post them up for you in the non-piranha pics and vids forum

since it looks like you are going to be leading this forum, is there any chance you can tell us all about you?
as I know I want to know, and many other most likely will also

edit:
I have to say after reading that article I really liked a couple of them

Acestorhynchus nasutus (Eigenmann, 1912)

Acestrorhynchus grandoculis sp. n. (Menezes & Géry, 1983)

Acestrorhynchus altus (Menezes, 1969)

*photos stolen from Franks site

I also liked this bit
In another situation; the egg scattering was observed at a pet store by a dealer who had kept two specimen's in captivity. While this information is vague, the fish provided no care to the released eggs. Both fish were approximately12 cm SL. No larvae emerged from the spawn.

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,487 Posts
Welcome to PFury also!!
As you may notice, Innes is greatful that another member can contribute to non-Piranha topics.

I only had fresh water Felcatus (red-tail Barracuda). Didn't really know about them well, but just enjoyed their appearance and aggression with feeders.

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
RhomZilla said:
As you may notice, Innes is greatful that another member can contribute to non-Piranha topics.
we have several members who regularly post in this forum who I learn a great deal from, but yes I am pleased

perhaps now that Frank got you on a piranha site, you could get him in a non-piranha forum

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
I am also very interested in details on breeding behavior in the
Genus Acestrorhynchus,

Acestro,
Do you happen to know of a clear publication regarding
the Taxonomy of this genus? I would be most gratfull if
you may have some leads, recent work is really what I'm looking for

·
Registered
14,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
First off thanks for the welcome! I have been doing biology all my life and am working on a second post-graduate degree. This time fish (Ph.D.), last time actually was snakes (my Master's)...
All the while I've kept aquaria for the last 15 years or so. My interest shifting rather quickly from the common species to set-ups that only true enthusiasts enjoy (species tanks, breeding set-ups, etc.).

Unusual fish and fish breeding are high up on my list and I always go for as much scientific information as possible. I've been teaching university lectures for the last couple years so hopefully I can relate whatever information or resources I have to make fishkeeping exciting and educational for the benefit of fish and man!

Hey Polypterus. Are you the same Polypterus as from another notorious predatory board?... The literature on Acestrorhynchus is elusive and mostly from before 1990. Infomation besides their parasites is rare, and they are parasite magnets! Naercio Menezes is one of the leading authors and he is currently sending me his reprints. Mônica Toledo Piza is doing current work with this group and hopefully I can maintain contact and see what she discovers about their relationships within that group.

The breeding info out there is so scant, just anecdotal. But there may be a paper in spanish that I found that may help. All I have to do is relocate it, find a way to get it, and translate it!

And the falcatus are awesome with feeders. I think you had a group, and having a group is the most exciting way to observe these fish. I'll try to get feeding vids of these guys up soon!

·
Registered
14,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Aggressive to anything that could fit in its mouth! Do you know what species?

As for the taxonomy, Polypt, here is a quote from Menezes:

"Currently there are 15 species recognized in the genus Acestrorhynchus and a phylogenetic analysis within the group by Mônica Toledo Piza, professor at the Department of Zoology of the University of São Paulo, is under way."

Meaning there could be more or less species in a couple years. How many species there really are or what a species is would be a great topic.....later!

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
acestro said:
Hey Polypterus. Are you the same Polypterus as from another notorious predatory board?...
I found him on Fishgeeks - not so preditory, but still a big site

·
Registered
14,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Lots of hobbyists out there!

Well, hopefully I'll have a thread saved here soon with pics of all species, their geographic ranges, taxonomy, care, etc. up soon!

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Hey Polypterus. Are you the same Polypterus as from another notorious predatory board?...
Most likley if it was a year or so back, in fact you sound a bit
Familier also
Innes I used to be a fixture on a number of Predatory
fish sites back a few years,

Well I was not hoping for much on finding lit. though I was hoping,

That paper on breeding behavior though I would be very interested in
if you come across it.

Thanks much for the leads
and current information,I Look forword to an up coming post with detailed
info.

Oh, as a note just a few weeks ago I was at a LFS checking what was new,
sure as hell they actually had a group of Acestorhynchus altus juvies :smile:
and selling them as "South american pike" for a whopping 10 bucks each!
I'm kicking myself now for not spending my life savings to put a 300 gallon
in my living room, Oh well live and learn What a display tank that would have
been :smile:

·
Registered
14,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What a display tank that would have
been
I am hoping to pull that off someday! Looking for a tank that size (or any tank 8 feet long or more), but have to make a big move first (stressful to fish and wallet alike! ).

I'll try to get something official set up in here soon but I'll make it worth the wait!

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
hey acestro and Polypterus what fish do you keep?

·
Registered
14,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Right now I have a mix of 4 falcatus, one falcirostris, and two unknown (either microlepis or possibly guianensis...microlepis is kind of a mess of a species...) in a 100 gal.

Had some isalinae barracudas (which look a lot like the nasutus pictured above). First acestro tip; don't mix them with larger species of acestrorhynchus!!!

Two salt tanks (small reef/seahorse and some tough guys;puffer,trigger,wrasse,etc.)

300 gal stock tank for raising acestrorhynchus food (also has Asian upside down cat and a marble cat).

Several african cichlid tanks (breeding flametail peacocks and electric blues).

and a lonely Assam snakehead. I feel like I'm forgetting something....

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
wow - they sound like great set ups

do you have any pics?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.