Piranhas Forum banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
hastatus said:
As for the other two. Top is Rhaphiodon vulpinnis, Bottom: likely Hydrolycus schomberoides
I thought the top one was the payara - Hydrolycus scomberoides

and I have no idea what a Rhaphiodon vulpinnis is, and I couldn't even find it on website searches - do you happen to have any info about them

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
Frank, once again you have changed my opinion

·
Registered
14,959 Posts
Photo originates from a Sports Fishing page. Likely result of some nasty pirana biting off the lower caudal extension creating the illusion of a shark-like appendage. As for species? Not sure. Wish those photos were larger and the complex-species were not so complex!
Its lower part of its caudal fin is there, just hard to see (it's so black). It's more the "lyre" -tail look and the black fins that jump out at me. And boy are those species complexes complex!

Everyone looks at the other two fish in that other pic. It's funny because all I see is that middle fish!

·
Registered
14,961 Posts
The lyre tail look is fairly common with these stream-lined fishes. See it also on Hydrocynus sp. (African Tiger Fishes). Probably having something to do with the water flow (river or rapids).

Everyone looks at the other two fish in that other pic. It's funny because all I see is that middle fish!
HAHAHA, I get the same thing with looking at fish charts, piranas always stand out.

·
Registered
14,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Thanks, took a while to accumulate the scientific and hobbyist info.

Probably having something to do with the water flow (river or rapids).
Agreed. The second falcirostris I had got more flow and has more of a tail like that. Phenotypic plasticity is cool! (fancy way of saying the environment can shape a characteristic more than genes, for those curious
)

·
Registered
668 Posts
acestro said:
and what about this fish in the middle (the others aren't acestros)? A golden acestro? Geographical variant? Another stunning fish either way.
What is the name of the fish in the bottom? in the picture with 3 fish

·
Registered
14,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Not hassle,
, I was just being detailed.

Bottom line: big tank and conditioned feeders and you are set!

·
Registered
14,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Thanks!

I brought it back up because there seems to be a new 'wave' of interest here and at pfish.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
they also have the adipose fin like the p's. are they somehow related? I've seen the silvery acestros in fish shops here and they were really tagged and sold as fresh water cudas. They got my attention after i bought my p's when i returned to my dealer. But little knowledge that i have with acestros. Thanks to you Acestro, I'll try having those cudas in the future. I'll gonna have to look for space again since you said that a longer tank is best.

By the way, do they require some rules like how many gallons per fish? I' gonna plan for a lengthly 125gal so i want to know how many i could put in that tank dimension.

Thanks.

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
camotekid said:
they also have the adipose fin like the p's. are they somehow related?
all characins like tetras

·
Registered
14,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Innes got it, characins (and catfish sometimes) have that adipose fin. Tetras, FW barracudas (acestrorhynchus), tigerfish, piranhas, african pikes, ctenolucius gar all are characins (very successful South American and African group).

Fish per gallon is interesting. I always tried to keep it low; one, because they grow faster, two, makes tank maintenance easy.

For me fish keeping is all about fitting your lifestyle to what fish you think are cool. If you can feed a fish constantly and change the water every 2-3 days you can keep all kinds of fish at all kinds of densities. But that's just not me! I've had about 9-10 mixed cudas in a 100 gallon (5 feet long) that were 5-9 inches each (maybe 60-65 inches of fish).

The other side of this is how fascinating a school of these fish is. I'd try anywhere from 6-12 acestros in that 125.

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
acestro said:
Fish per gallon is interesting.
I hate fish per gallon rules, they are simply misleading, the truth is that it is surface area that is most important - this can be helped with the addition of bubbles in the tank, next to that it is that the fishes have enough space to move around.

you can have 100g of water, but in such a way that you cant even keep a guppy,

even if you have a reasonable shaped tank and you have few fish you can have problems if you do not maintain it, and if you have the same tank and add more fish you can keep it healthy if you maintain it often.

non of this actially has any relation to gallons per fish

·
Registered
14,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
True that. Although it's important to note that those bubbles aren't diffusing into the water, they're agitating the surface. Agitating the surface is important (like Innes said) because that is essentially the "lungs" of the tank.

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
not only that, but each bubble has its own surface area which adds a bit extra

21 - 40 of 42 Posts