Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Mentally Addicted!
2,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Acclimating Your Piranha:

The first thing you'll need to do is turn off your aquarium light, this will calm the fish's soon-to-be tankmates, and they'll be less likely to intimidate the new arrival(if keeping Pygocentrus). It will also serve to calm your new fish, thus reducing the stress.

Next, you'll need to "float" your fish. This involves placing the plastic bag containing your fish in the tank it will eventually live in. Float your fish for about 15 or 20 minutes. This is important as it allows the water temperature in the bag to gradually adjust to that of the tank. This method prevents your fish from experiencing any temperature shock when introduced into the tank.

After your fish has floated for that length of time, you'll then need to "drip" it. Dripping involves adding small amounts of the aquarium water to the bag until about half of the water in the bag is from your aquarium. This allows the pH and GH of the water in the bag to gradually adjust to that in the tank. This method also has the purpose of reducing the stress your fish will experience upon introduction. If the fish has been shipped, my method for floating is the same, but dripping is a bit different. Typically, they'll come drugged with Hypno or Bag Buddies. I feel its important to flush as much of this sedative out of their system as possible before putting them with other fish. I unfortunately learned the hard way: a drugged fish is a sleepy fish and becomes an easy target of predation or aggression. What I do then(after floating the bag), is cut the bag and gently release the fish and its water into a bucket. I will then "drip" the fish in this bucket. Using a bucket allows me to add much more water from the aquarium than the bag would allow.

Whatever you do, do NOT add the water from the bag to the aquarium, especially if the fish was drugged. These waters can damage your biological filtration. Furthermore, you don't want the ammonia-polluted water this fish has been sitting in because you don't know what viruses or bacteria its previous tank may have had. Gently net the fish out of the bag and then release the fish into the tank.

I would discourage you from feeding your fish(s) that first day. Rarely few new fish(Serrasalmus) eat right away. It usually takes a day or two (or even longer) before they feel comfortable enough to resume eating. Don't be alarmed if they don't eat the next day, unless you see white, stringy feces. Ime Piranhas can survive for weeks without eating. Reduce the amount you feed them at first and gradually bring it back to its original quantity.

When receiving a new fish be patient with them, they can be very skittish at first but give them some time to get use to there surroundings. GOODLUCK

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
/sticky. Great post Snakebite. We need much more stickies/posts like this on subjects that get brought up every week/day. That way we can just copy and paste that into there thread and send them on their way. IMO it would be much easier than using the "search" function which doesn't always find what your looking for. Once again great post sir.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Great post Snakebite.

Just to add....Dripping is done by syphoning the "aquarium water" into the fish's "travel water" using air tubing with a drip valve at the end. Opening the valve to allow somewhere around one or two drips per second.

Attachments

·
Registered
350 Posts
Great post Snake....
Alot of people still dont realize the importance of the acclimation process..

R.T.

·
Bean Power!
8,911 Posts
Sorry to say but big rhombs dont come in bag
Who's talking about big rhoms? This is good, general information.

I wouldn't mind seeing "Part 2" on this. Introducing new pygos to an established pack. Alot of people use different methods. I have a favorite method myself. Whaddya think?

·
Mentally Addicted!
2,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
share with us serrapygo...love to hear about your method, myself and others can possible learn from this

·
Mentally Addicted!
2,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
well back on topic

members please read this before acclimating a new fish, it will help alot

·
Registered
7 Posts
Acclimating Your Piranha:

The first thing you'll need to do is turn off your aquarium light, this will calm the fish's soon-to-be tankmates, and they'll be less likely to intimidate the new arrival(if keeping Pygocentrus). It will also serve to calm your new fish, thus reducing the stress.

Next, you'll need to "float" your fish. This involves placing the plastic bag containing your fish in the tank it will eventually live in. Float your fish for about 15 or 20 minutes. This is important as it allows the water temperature in the bag to gradually adjust to that of the tank. This method prevents your fish from experiencing any temperature shock when introduced into the tank.

After your fish has floated for that length of time, you'll then need to "drip" it. Dripping involves adding small amounts of the aquarium water to the bag until about half of the water in the bag is from your aquarium. This allows the pH and GH of the water in the bag to gradually adjust to that in the tank. This method also has the purpose of reducing the stress your fish will experience upon introduction. If the fish has been shipped, my method for floating is the same, but dripping is a bit different. Typically, they'll come drugged with Hypno or Bag Buddies. I feel its important to flush as much of this sedative out of their system as possible before putting them with other fish. I unfortunately learned the hard way: a drugged fish is a sleepy fish and becomes an easy target of predation or aggression. What I do then(after floating the bag), is cut the bag and gently release the fish and its water into a bucket. I will then "drip" the fish in this bucket. Using a bucket allows me to add much more water from the aquarium than the bag would allow.

Whatever you do, do NOT add the water from the bag to the aquarium, especially if the fish was drugged. These waters can damage your biological filtration. Furthermore, you don't want the ammonia-polluted water this fish has been sitting in because you don't know what viruses or bacteria its previous tank may have had. Gently net the fish out of the bag and then release the fish into the tank.

I would discourage you from feeding your fish(s) that first day. Rarely few new fish(Serrasalmus) eat right away. It usually takes a day or two (or even longer) before they feel comfortable enough to resume eating. Don't be alarmed if they don't eat the next day, unless you see white, stringy feces. Ime Piranhas can survive for weeks without eating. Reduce the amount you feed them at first and gradually bring it back to its original quantity.

When receiving a new fish be patient with them, they can be very skittish at first but give them some time to get use to there surroundings. GOODLUCK
Thanks for a great post, very usefull when im getting my new ternetzi's shipped over from the states to europe

1 - 20 of 33 Posts