Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody,

I just got my piranahs two weeks ago. I got 3 RBP juvies, none of them more then an inch in length...I lost one when he swam up into my filter, that was unfortunate...but life goes on for the other two.

Anyway, as a first time owner, I have a number of questions that maybe some of you guys could answer...

First, at what point can i start to feed them feeder fish? Not as a daily diet, but for show every now and then. They are only about 2 inches now, and I put a piece of shrimp in there, and they are picking away at it, is it too soon for that?

Secondly, at what point should I move them to a bigger tank? Currently I have a 20 gallon, however I was thinking of getting a 55 gallon in the summer, around the start of June.

Next, if I was to go out this week sometime and buy another juvie RBP from the same stock I got those two, would they eat him? Or is it a crap shoot? The three of them never really attacked each other at all, and these two in here seem to enjoy each others company.

How often should I change my water? I have a roomate who keeps chiclids, and he does it once every two weeks or so...I did a 25 percent change once a week, is that enough?

Will they continue to eat blood worms their whole life?

What is the life expectancy for a piranha?

I think thats all the questions I have right now...its fun keeping them and watching them grow, and I feel I'm starting to get attached to the little guys now...thanks for all the help!

· Danse Macabre!
9,834 Posts
CanadianKeeper said:
First, at what point can i start to feed them feeder fish? Not as a daily diet, but for show every now and then. They are only about 2 inches now, and I put a piece of shrimp in there, and they are picking away at it, is it too soon for that?
[snapback]853572[/snapback]​
I'm of the belief that at two inches standard length (as in, don't measure the fins but just the body) they are big enough to eat shrimp and likely small feeders no problem. It doesn't hurt to try, if they can't eat it, then they won't.

CanadianKeeper said:
Secondly, at what point should I move them to a bigger tank? Currently I have a 20 gallon, however I was thinking of getting a 55 gallon in the summer, around the start of June.
As soon as possible, that twenty gallon is going to seem pretty small in matter of months, they grow real fast. I don't think you could wait all the way to June for a new tank, that's a long ways off, especially if you want to add another.

CanadianKeeper said:
Next, if I was to go out this week sometime and buy another juvie RBP from the same stock I got those two, would they eat him? Or is it a crap shoot? The three of them never really attacked each other at all, and these two in here seem to enjoy each others company.
It's always a crap shoot, but if they're the same size and your reds are currently pretty peaceful, your odds are pretty decent. Might want to rearange the decoration in the tank before adding the new guy to break up territoriality though.

CanadianKeeper said:
How often should I change my water? I have a roomate who keeps chiclids, and he does it once every two weeks or so...I did a 25 percent change once a week, is that enough?
Sounds good

CanadianKeeper said:
Will they continue to eat blood worms their whole life?

What is the life expectancy for a piranha?
They'll get too big to be interested in bloodworms soon enough. Mine eat nothing but shrimp, fish fillet and smelt.

They live around 25 years, but not many people keep them that long so it's hard to say if that's a common occurence.

Enjoy your fish, and welcome to the hobby

· my sister is #1 best prostitute
10,237 Posts
elTwitcho said:
As soon as possible, that twenty gallon is going to seem pretty small in matter of months, they grow real fast. I don't think you could wait all the way to June for a new tank, that's a long ways off, especially if you want to add another.

Enjoy your fish, and welcome to the hobby
[snapback]853616[/snapback]​
that all sounds about right, except i would suggest something other than a 55 gallon, i have one and its a good size tank but you would benifit more from a tank with more depth. they do grow fast and the sooner you give them more room to move they will grow faster and healthier..

a 55 is like 12 inchs deep and 20 something high, the hight isnt really as important as the depth when they get bigger, it would be better if they have more room to turn around when swimming around the tank. a 40 gallon breeder has great depth but isnt quit as long as would be ideal and not really quite enough water volume for 3 mature P's. a 75 would be good for a really long time, its the same foot print of a 90 but 4 inchs shorter..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.