Piranhas Forum banner

is a 30 gallon breader 36l,18w,12 tall enough?

  • yes its as tall as a 10 gallon and 18" wide and 3'long

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no its not tall enough

    Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
"Nitro"
Joined
·
5,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
honest answers only
 

·
Me except the eye color
Joined
·
6,210 Posts
I say its cool! Go for it. Piranhas does not use much height as it is. So have it 12" is okay in my book. If you are shoaling Pygos, it may turn danergous. See once a Pygos starts pickin on a certain fish, the fish that is getting picked on usually starts hanging out at the top corners of the tank waiting for you to come home and see that they need more hiding space before they die. Now without enough height may not make it through the day for you to see them in destress .
 

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
Joined
·
18,487 Posts
It'll be cool, Nitro. Your P wont be the happiest, but it can work and might even spark more aggressive.

My 8" Rhom was housed in a 30 gal before I sold the tank to KAIN. Got a new 20 gal free and housed him in there before I sold the Rhom. Seemed less happy in the 20 gal, considering his aggression was higher, more active and ate more feeders. I know little space was the reason for all this new characteristic. But aside from being unhappy, he had enough space to swim for the meantime.
 

·
The ASSMAN
Joined
·
20,469 Posts
I have my 8" manuelli in a 30 gallon. This summer I am getting him a longer tank but he is fine, the new tank is more for me than for him.
 

·
OPEFE
Joined
·
10,249 Posts
Good enough for single fish...i have my 7" Rhom in a 35g at the moment doing fine, i will upgrade when it get 7 1/2"...if you want it for more than 1 P you will need a bigger tank!
 

·
"Nitro"
Joined
·
5,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
did I mention it will only hold 1 piranha, I wont be shoaling piranha's at all. I want to get 6 of these tanks and have 6 different species of piranha. rhom,spilo,elongatus,etc.
 

·
"Nitro"
Joined
·
5,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
this is the stand I want to build for it
 

·
Death is fair to everyone.
Joined
·
5,310 Posts
I agree with rhomzilla, They wont be the happiest, but they will be ok.
With the plans, It looks like it will be hard to get to the bottom tanks to clean and maintain. Or is there a plan for that also?
 

·
joey'd is da man
Joined
·
14,077 Posts
nitrofish said:
did I mention it will only hold 1 piranha, I wont be shoaling piranha's at all. I want to get 6 of these tanks and have 6 different species of piranha. rhom,spilo,elongatus,etc.
I have a tank which is 2'6"x18"x12" - about the same as what you are saying I think

I have 2 RBPs in there with some tetras and they seem fine, however I think their growth is a little bit stunted


if you want more ideas about what to put in these tanks feel free to post in the non-piranha forum
 

·
Beautiful One
Joined
·
8,799 Posts
you could but I like having a lot of room for my fish to swim around in
 

·
"Nitro"
Joined
·
5,386 Posts
Innes said:
nitrofish said:
did I mention it will only hold 1 piranha, I wont be shoaling piranha's at all. I want to get 6 of these tanks and have 6 different species of piranha. rhom,spilo,elongatus,etc.
I have a tank which is 2'6"x18"x12" - about the same as what you are saying I think

I have 2 RBPs in there with some tetras and they seem fine, however I think their growth is a little bit stunted


if you want more ideas about what to put in these tanks feel free to post in the non-piranha forum
yes, thats prety close to what i want to use

I don't know, I guess I could always get a 40 gallon breader tank, its 4 inches taller
 

·
Skankzilla
Joined
·
18,320 Posts
is there any reason you are using the 30 gallons? are you getting a deal or is someone selling them used to you? the only reason i ask is because it just might be smarter to go with a 40gal breeder or 40 gal regular and then you wont have to upgrade as soon and also you wont have to build a new stand for all those tanks...
 

·
"Nitro"
Joined
·
5,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
b_ack51 said:
is there any reason you are using the 30 gallons? are you getting a deal or is someone selling them used to you? the only reason i ask is because it just might be smarter to go with a 40gal breeder or 40 gal regular and then you wont have to upgrade as soon and also you wont have to build a new stand for all those tanks...
well, theres a filtration issue, a 30 gallon tank would be fine with a penguin 330 filter, which is somewhat cheep.and a 30 gallon breader tank is only $65 dollars.

I should just get some 40 gallon breader tanks. I just wanted to see your oppinions. I could get them from glasscages cheep , but they are a long drive away.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top