Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Wavy
12,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am gettina 75 gallon tank for xmas!!!

MY question is, if i dont get a complete package which includes all the filters and lights an ish what brands do u reccomend?

I want a semi planted tank so light power is a big thing too.

Also im thinking of going sand since its only going to be a rhom and some tetras ( maybe a sanchezi cohab later down the road ) What kind of sand should i get. Do they sell black sand at Home Depots, if so, what kind is the best for a fish tank.

Also just one more question...the tank is going in my room which is on the top floor over the garage...any chance of it braking through the floor?

Thanks in advance guys

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
thats great man i wish i would get the same for Xmas.

get a xp3 for a filter all glass has a nice heater with the temp shown on top black sand...i dont know never looked in to sand i hear its hard to keep clean??

do you have any ideal what its going to tip the scales at filled?

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
i would go with a 404 or an xp3 ..... as for sand i have never heard of this black sand.. i have the lake malawi gravel. kind of looks like black sand not sure if thats the one you where talking about.

ooo did u get your rhoms from MA?

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
i hear the 404 and the xp3 work just about the same but the 404 has more parts and i think it has a few more baskets to fill as well but do look in to it for your self and keep us posted.....(with pics)

·
Wavy
12,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Will do! And no i got a chinese guy my dad knows that can get me a rhom for 30 CAN...from peru...but i still want the guyana its just the shipping cost is whats putting me off.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Will do! And no i got a chinese guy my dad knows that can get me a rhom for 30 CAN...from peru...but i still want the guyana its just the shipping cost is whats putting me off.
what size

·
Registered
114 Posts
waters about 8.5 pounds per gallon for your info on the weight of it. with gravel/sand and water and stand your gonna be in the 800 pound range I'd say. Good luck Ive got two 75g tanks and they are fun but I still want to get bigger..
Ive seen black sand/tiny gravel at petsmart before but its rather expensive so I have yet to try it but Im going to on the next tank unless I find a better product.
On mine I have a catalina aquariums ca1000 canister on one tank (kinda cheapo canister filter but works wonders and is very quiet so far) with a powerhead that has a large filter on it. The other tank I have two ac 110's and so far they arent doin the job, Im going to be replacing one of the ac's with an emp400 soon as I can. Or Id like to add a canister to it.
either way good luck with your new tank!

·
Registered
400 Posts
I got black sand from my LFS for $3.50 per 5LB bag (not sure on the brand), so I ended up spending around $30 for my whole tank(8bags for my 55G) I am very glad I did though. IMO it looks better than my other 55 which has normal sand in it (about $8 for whole tank)but the black stuff was an entirely different sand, and had to be "prep'ed" a little differently. It was alot finer and the granules where all about the same size(very small) so it had to be soaked for awhile to get them all wet or they would trap air and form black clumps that will float all over your tank and look nasty. as far as keeping sand clean....if you keep up on your vac'in in your tank it is far easier cuz everything is visable on top of the sand. (no "stirring" up the gravel to get the crud underneath) I don't think they sell black sand at HomeD but any regular play sand should work. just make sure you wash the [email protected] outta it, and just when you think it is clean, wash it some more! (I took mine to a local carwash and used their pressurewasher to clean mine, you should have seen the look they gave me when I asked to clean some dirt
) Honestly, I don't think I'll ever use anything but sand in all my future tanks. it looks great

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
For filtration....I would get a xp3.....for the lights I really don't know....good luck with yourr new set up...

I have a 125 gallon that im going to set up next year

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
for the lights just get a plain jane hood with light and dim it......maybe some moon lights after your tank is up and runing with your little guy in it then look into diff lights

·
Wavy
12,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Any chance of it falling through the floor? My room is on top of the garage and thats my only concern here...itll probably tip the scales at about 750 pounds give or take a few.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Any chance of it falling through the floor? My room is on top of the garage and thats my only concern here...itll probably tip the scales at about 750 pounds give or take a few.
you should be ok with it on the top floor. i would go with black sand. home depot doesnt carry it, but any lfs should be able to get/order it for you. get black tahitian moon sand. i have it in my planted tank and its great. as for filtration i would go with a rena xp3 and a hob like an ac500 for top water arreation. that will be more than enough filtration for a 75.

·
AQHU RULES
4,609 Posts
black gravel would be nice, especially if it was planted................

also with it being on the top floor you will have to look and see which way the joists are running as other wise it could go through the roof.......

i would also go for 404, and maybe a 304 rather thn the xp3............

and a rhom sanchezi cohab will end in tears as they are both seriously aggresive fish

·
Wavy
12,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
black gravel would be nice, especially if it was planted................

also with it being on the top floor you will have to look and see which way the joists are running as other wise it could go through the roof.......

i would also go for 404, and maybe a 304 rather thn the xp3............

and a rhom sanchezi cohab will end in tears as they are both seriously aggresive fish
thanks for your input but i wasnt asking about that and btw im not cohabing rhoms

So more likely than not its not gonna go through the roof?

·
Registered
114 Posts
I wouldnt think so. Ive got two 75's in my office. One on each side of me right now and its above my pool room thats open like a garage (in fact the house next door thats just like mine has a garage door cut into the basement right where my huge window to the pool room is) so unless your place as structural issues im sure itll be fine. Now im not saying for sure either way but in my house it seems fine. Only problem i have is that when I filled up the first 75 I found out which way my floor slants hahaha right side of the tank is about 1/4" lower than the left side

1 - 18 of 18 Posts